ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluation Music Repository  (Read 10874 times)

Preston Soper

Evaluation Music Repository
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »

I thought I would start a thread here on some select music tracks that are your favorites in evaluating a sound system either before or after tweaking it.
We all have different methods to achieve our goal of a well tuned PA including the music we listen to evaluate our progress.

In terms of a format to follow, please list the following:
1. Song Title:
2. Artist:
3. Name of Album:
4. Why: A brief description of what in that particular song is noteworthy for this task.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:17:13 AM by Preston Soper »
Folks, We have reached our cruising altitude now, so I'm going to switch the seatbelt sign off. Feel free to move about as you wish, but please stay inside the plane till we land… It's a bit cold outside, and if you walk on the wing it affects the flight pattern.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Evaluation Music Repository
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »

I thought I would start a thread here on some select music tracks that are your favorites in evaluating a sound system either before or after tweaking it.
We all have different methods to achieve our goal of a well tuned PA including the music we listen to evaluate our progress.

Miss Chatalaine
kd lang
Ingenue
Great vocal production and singing. If kd's voice and the guitars around it sound good, the system sounds good.

Constant Craving from the same album is also good for the same reasons.

I use measurement a lot to work on eq, but all eq decisions have to pass the kd test to make the grade.

Mac

Preston Soper

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »

"I will Remember"
Toto
Tambu

Great drum & low end production on this track.
Overall tonal balance is good so if you have dipped too much out of the low/high mids its easy to hear.
Vocals have a bit of extra high mids on the track that help me rein in that bite out of the pa.
Folks, We have reached our cruising altitude now, so I'm going to switch the seatbelt sign off. Feel free to move about as you wish, but please stay inside the plane till we land… It's a bit cold outside, and if you walk on the wing it affects the flight pattern.

JonathanSmith

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »

In terms of a format to follow, please list the following:
1. Song Title:
2. Artist:
3. Name of Album:
4. Why: A brief description of what in that particular song is noteworthy for this task.

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »

Michael Ruff - Wishing Well
Sheffield (can't remember which disc)

Final mixdown of this song seems to have very little compression/squashing...lots of dynamic range. Nice tonal balance.

I have many others that I use for different things...vocal clarity, controlling hi-mid harshness/low-mid mud, etc. Too many to list. The music I play varies from gig to gig depending on what genre the evening presents itself with.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »

Agreed.  How is this thread any different from the dozens of "what's your favorite system-checking music" threads that have been floating around on the PSW forums for the last 7 years?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »

Agreed.  How is this thread any different from the dozens of "what's your favorite system-checking music" threads that have been floating around on the PSW forums for the last 7 years?

I prefer Pink Floyd.......or Pink Noise.......or Big Pink.  Anythink ping.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Preston Soper

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

I know this may be a topic that has been posted before on the old forums. We all have our usual media that we use for evaluation but this can grow stale.
I like to keep things fresh so some outside input was why I  started a new thread on an old forum topic. No worries , maybe the mods could move this thread to the lounge.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:05:54 PM by Preston Soper »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »

Number one, because no one can post in the old threads on PSW. Since the changeover there is a new audience at PSW who were not part of those years. Are they not allowed to participate?

Number two, if we never mention anything that has been discussed before there won't be very many threads. Is there a pro audio forum out there that doesn't have a fairly current thread about bass drum mics?

Tim and Jonathan, I think it was probably pretty clear what this thread was before you clicked on it. I wonder why you didn't just pass it by?

Mac

Preston Soper

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »

The way I look at is that by discussing a topic like this allows you, if time and patience in your workday permits a chance to have a listen to your system from another perspective than your own. This could lead to new thoughts about old preconceived ways of our daily routines. The main reason I come to PSW is to learn from those that have posted before me along with current and future posters on this forum. I admire the knowledge that often fills these threads. Insight into the trends and choices of media from an in the trenches perspective may give some of our fledgling engineers out there and old road dogs a new way to evaluate thier work through stepping out of their comfort zone.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:42:36 PM by Preston Soper »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.