ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound Aspect  (Read 5160 times)

Michael Friedman

Turbosound Aspect
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »

Hey guys and gals,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the turbosound aspect series. I'm looking at buying a smaller system, 4 TA 880's or 4 TA 500's depending on what i can get and about 4 218's. I haven't heard it yet, but i imagine standing in front of it is something akin to riding a motor cycle (hair blasted back, cheecks flapping, eyes watering, you know...) I've heard F1, KV2, and Floodlight. I'm guessing it sounds similar to F1 since the designs are very close. If anyone has some words on the subject, I'd welcome the input.

Other than actually listening to them, I've done my homework and have a way better understanding of professional speaker systems than i ever thought possible. I've read just about everything I can find about aspect on the internet, but all in all i still have a few questions that i thought someone might be able to help me out with on the forums.

1. Why the hell didn't turbosound make a 4x8 processor? If I want a 4 or 5 way system, i'd need two lmsd24's or 26's right? I mean,  Do you really need to have a left and a right processor if you want to run your system in 4 or 5 way? I'm thinking of just getting an xta 448 or similar since I'm an all in one kinda guy, and in all likelyhood, the system will be a 4 way system, so unless someone can explain to me how to run a single lms26 as a 4 way crossover, i think i'm gonna go third party...

2. Speaking of 4 ways and third parties (giggity), I think I'm starting to understand 4 way crossovers, wiring and i can see why turbo is using the mc2 amplifiers for their high end pro av market (up to 4 boxes per channel!). What i'm wondering is, since my situation is such that i probably wont be running that many boxes, is it possible to use amplifiers that aren't as powerful (and expensive!) I'm thinking that if i matched some smaller amplifiers to the two box per side scenario, I could save ALOT of money, not to mention the max amperage draw would be significantly less. At a lot of the shows we do, Its uncommon for us to find more than a single power box in the venue, and if it has more than 100 amps its our lucky day. With a 4 way system at full power on the MC2 amplifiers, we're talking 120 amps (but realistically more like 80-100 amps). So unless were gonna do this thing in the dark, I'd like to get that power consumption down for my lighting, especially since I'm not sure that i'll ever be able to afford to add any boxes to the rig. Can anyone think of a reason why i shouldn't do that? Any suggestions on amplifiers for that would also be helpful. I'm thinking maybe some powersoft d series, or maybe some qsc plx series... Something that sounds good, is readily availalbe and not $3k plus.

Thanks!

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Re: Turbosound Aspect
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »

Hi Michael,
  I have spent a LOT of time mixing or listening to others mix on Turbo Aspect 880 and 500 rigs.  I have not heard F1 or KV2s so cannot compare.  I have also spent countless hours on Floodlights, so feel qualified to make a comparison there.  The Aspects easily go places that Floodlights cannot go in their wildest dreams.  The Aspects are far more detailed, powerful and well behaved than Floods.  Also, the 880s and 500s are sonically members of the same family, but they are very different animals.  More cousins than brothers, I would say.  You really need to carefully assess your needs to see which would serve you better.  Also, no one is going to be able to tell you what a speaker sounds like.  You absolutely need to arrange a hands on audition with any system before you spend your money.  Only you know what you need/expect from your tools.  I will say that Aspects have proved to be a great speaker system for us in every regard and I have never regretted our decision to buy Turbosound.  They are not the only excellent choice out there and you need to get up close and personal to make an informed decision.
   Regarding system processors, the Turbo, xta, or Dolby Lake (especially the Dolby Lake!) will all do a good job with the Aspects.  Pick one with the routing options you want and have at it.  Consider that using two processors to drive a stereo system gives you a built in backup.  It could be an easy, quick patch at the amp racks to collapse the rig to mono should a processor fail, and the show would go on.
  Speaking of amps, you don't need to use MC2 amps if you don't want to.  If you don't plan to hang 4 boxes on an amp channel, you don't need 2 ohm capability.  Obviously, you DO need to provide the power Turbo recommends if you want to get performance the system is capable of. For the most part, you get what you pay for in pro audio gear.  I think you would be wise to buy the best quality amplifiers you can afford - your light show not withstanding. 
  I hope that helped a little.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

ps - Looking back I see you mention getting either 4 880s or 4 500s and 4 218s.  I would observe that 2 880s per side would be very narrow (50 degree total) and 2 500s is pretty wide (100 degree total).  Also, the spl each of these systems are capable of within their patterns will be very different.  I have found 75 degrees is a good coverage pattern for a lot of situations.  3 880s over 2 TSW218s per side is a very serious, make no apologies rig that can handle any kind of music from rock to hiphop for a crowd of 2 to 3k peeps, depending on the venue. FWIW.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:22:12 AM by Steve Payne »
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Turbosound Aspect
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.