ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M-one XL  (Read 4611 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
M-one XL
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the plate and live verb? For use on drums which is more subtle?

Looking through the preset list in the manual I can see a  potentially useful patch:

49 - Snare + Lead Vocal (I'm not sure if I'll have one or two of these units so this might be a good start) I'm assuming this is a plate?

I've used the M-one XL Halls on vox and think that will be fine with some tweaking.

The gig is a Bob Dylan Tribute so I'll keep things pretty dry, but would like fast track to some useable presets...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:40:46 PM by luis Markson »

bruce gering

Re: M-one XL
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the plate and live verb? For use on drums which is more subtle?

I use the vocal plate on my B rig. Does the job. Not real complex sounding of a reverb. Could be warmer sounding, but it works. You may have add a little longer of a tail to it. 

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »

I use the vocal plate on my B rig. Does the job. Not real complex sounding of a reverb. Could be warmer sounding, but it works. You may have add a little longer of a tail to it.

Maybe this is used in preset 49? Maybe that doesn't make sense...
Its been a while since I've used one...

Can you navigate reverb types independant of the presets or do you start at a preset and modify from there?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:54:20 PM by luis Markson »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

Looking through the preset list in the manual I can see a  potentially useful patch:

49 - Snare + Lead Vocal (I'm not sure if I'll have one or two of these units so this might be a good start) I'm assuming this is a plate?

I don't think I have ever used a factory FX patch raw in my life. I usually select the basic type of verb I want, Hall, Room, Plate, etc, and adjust till it sounds good. Factory presets in reverbs are almost as useless as factory comp, gate, and eq presets in digital consoles.

Mac

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »

I don't think I have ever used a factory FX patch raw in my life. I usually select the basic type of verb I want, Hall, Room, Plate, etc, and adjust till it sounds good. Factory presets in reverbs are almost as useless as factory comp, gate, and eq presets in digital consoles.

Mac

You're right. So back to a question that I added to my above post. Does the Mone require that you start via a preset or can you navigate directlty to verb type?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:03:38 PM by luis Markson »

bruce gering

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »

Mac

Yep. (but you have to wonder WHO came up with the presets that just don't ever seem to cut it!)  And luis, you CAN change the algorithm of any given factory preset to any other that is within the units parameters. e.g. a delay can be changed to a flange, a plate verb can be changed to a hall verb, etc. THEN, each of the parameters within the algorithms can be modified as well, for instance, giving a reverb more tail (longer decay time).

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »

You're right. So back to a question that I added to my above post. Does the Mone require that you start via a preset or can you navigate directlty to verb type?

What difference does it make? If you are going to set the parameters yourself any basic preset of the type you want should be fine. There are less than a half dozen parameters to adjust, twiddle some knobs till you like it.

One of the nice things about the M-One is that you can use 2 mono sends to 2 stereo effects that return on 1 stereo pair. You set the relative levels between effects either with the mix control, or with the send level from the console. I try to have easy access to the send level anyway, but that is where I prefer to turn off the effects. That keeps me from truncating a long reverb tail.

Mac

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »

What difference does it make? If you are going to set the parameters yourself any basic preset of the type you want should be fine. There are less than a half dozen parameters to adjust, twiddle some knobs till you like it.

One of the nice things about the M-One is that you can use 2 mono sends to 2 stereo effects that return on 1 stereo pair. You set the relative levels between effects either with the mix control, or with the send level from the console. I try to have easy access to the send level anyway, but that is where I prefer to turn off the effects. That keeps me from truncating a long reverb tail.

Mac

Can you return on 2 seperate stereo pairs?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »

Can you return on 2 seperate stereo pairs?

No. There are only 2 output connectors. It can be separate mono returns, or a single stereo return. Controlling the verb level from the send makes separate returns unnecessary.

That's a lot of capability for the price. There are better, more flexible boxes out there, but not at that price.

Mac

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

No. There are only 2 output connectors. It can be separate mono returns, or a single stereo return. Controlling the verb level from the send makes separate returns unnecessary.

That's a lot of capability for the price. There are better, more flexible boxes out there, but not at that price.

Mac

Thanks... reading that part of the manual now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.