ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8Ohms amp - 8 Ohms speakers - double the speakers?  (Read 3561 times)

Fernando Lopez

8Ohms amp - 8 Ohms speakers - double the speakers?
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »

Hello

I currently have an EV CP4000S which I use to  power up to 4 (8 Ohm) EV ZX5-60 speakers

My understanding is this:

When I plug one speaker in each channel I am delivering 600Watts at 8 Ohms to each top

When I plug two speakers to each channel I am delivering 600W at 4 Ohms to each speaker

Am I correct?

My connection is left channel to left speker then link one speaker to the next, same goes for the right side

Am I getting the most out of my speakers? How much better would they sound if I had an equal amp fer each pair?

Thanks,

bruce gering

Re: 8Ohms amp - 8 Ohms speakers - double the speakers?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »

Hello

I currently have an EV CP4000S which I use to  power up to 4 (8 Ohm) EV ZX5-60 speakers

When I plug one speaker in each channel I am delivering 600Watts at 8 Ohms to each top

When I plug two speakers to each channel I am delivering 600W at 4 Ohms to each speaker

Am I correct?

My connection is left channel to left speker then link one speaker to the next, same goes for the right side

Am I getting the most out of my speakers? How much better would they sound if I had an equal amp fer each pair?

Thanks,

Although most amps are designed to run the most efficiently at 8 Ohms (Max pwr transfer), the difference you will hear by adding another amp would be negligible.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Ohm's Law
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »

Am I correct?

I= V/R. Current equals Voltage divided by resistance. Also, P=IxE. Power equals current times voltage (Electromotive force). Your amplifier can produce some maximum voltage, call it 64V. Into an 8Ω impedance the voltage corresponds to a current of 8A (64/8=8). The power at that voltage is 8x64, or 512W. An amp with those specs can deliver a maximum of 512W into an 8Ω load. At 4Ω the current doubles, since the voltage is the same and the current is doubled, the power has also doubled. As you lower the impedance, at some point the impedance will be so low that the amp will no longer be able to reach its specified maximum voltage, and the power will not increase proportionately. If your amp has a power spec for 4Ω, that is the amount of power it will be delivering to the pair of speakers, evenly divided between them.

Mac

edit: This is the simple view. Since the impedance of a speaker circuit is made up of resistance, inductance, and capacitance, and inductance varies with frequency, and to some extent resistance varies with temperature, there is no simple number. But for the purposes of determining what amplifier to use the manufacturer's specs are usually sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:59:50 PM by Mac Kerr »

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Ohm's Law
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

A handy chart for Ohm's Law.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Ohm's Law
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.