ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How many subwoofers do you need?  (Read 14451 times)

Jason Henning

How many subwoofers do you need?
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »

Is there a formula to determine the ratio of subwoofers to mid and highs that are needed to provide an even mix? We are installing a system in a new building and I want to make sure we have the correct mixture of subs and other speakers.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
Re: How many subwoofers do you need?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »

The best I can offer is 2 subs per mid/high and obviously this depends on the type of music being performed. For the majority of my work I place a QRX 212 on top of a QRX 218 and it works for me; 4 boxes each of these QRX's is presently enough to manage although I've considered adding more subs to my inventory.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »

Is there a formula to determine the ratio of subwoofers to mid and highs that are needed to provide an even mix? We are installing a system in a new building and I want to make sure we have the correct mixture of subs and other speakers.

The formula you use will be determined by factors such as type of music/audience and characteristics of the space itself. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »

The formula you use will be determined by factors such as type of music/audience and characteristics of the space itself.

As well as what kind of full range system you have and what kind of subs you have, and how they are deployed.

No, there is no formula.

Mac

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »

Obtaining an 'even mix' would seem to relate to the relative relationship of the mains and subs not just at one location but throughout the audience area, so there are many considerations potentially involved beyond just how many speakers.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »

Also occasionally you may do shows that require no subs what so ever like a old-time or bluegrass show, comedy or other simple spoken word.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:54 AM »

No.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:01:39 AM »

This friday I will do an event with zero subwoofers and I'll have six large 3-way boxes plus several fill boxes.  There will be about 4000 people in attendance.

Last week I did an event where I just brought in 8 2X18" subs to supplement the house rig that already had four 2X18" subs plus I brought a texas headphone rig that had two single 18" subs with two way tops for monitors.  They only have four tops in the house system so three subs per top. 

I just an event two weeks ago with 16 2X18" subs for FOH plus two more for side fills and a single 18" sub for the drummer.

So the simple answer is to have lots of 'em but only bring what you need.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:59 AM »

Also occasionally you may do shows that require no subs what so ever like a old-time or bluegrass show, comedy or other simple spoken word.
So the simple answer is to have lots of 'em but only bring what you need.
The OP noted they were installing the system so varying the quantity or type of subs for individual events may not be that practical.  For an installed system you'd usually either select the composite 'worst case' and design for that or design for a typical event and incorporate some method to supplement the system when required.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »

The fun answer is: "How many do you have? I need that and 2 more."

Seriously, one sub per two top boxes deployed is fairly typical.

If you have little to no design experience, I would reccomend you consult with a design professional. Failing that, the manufacturer of your loudspeaker system, given the size of your room and configuration of loudspeakers you are using, they should be able to assist you with selecting the right model and quantity of sub enclosures.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.