ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crest 8001/9001  (Read 4575 times)

Marc Navarrette

Crest 8001/9001
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »

Gentleman...............
Was considering purchasing 1 or 2 of these. More for a home/basement type deal as they won't be pushed real hard.
My question concerns repairing them if something should go awry. Are these difficult/expensive to repair? Do they
generally have to go back to Crest? They will just sit in a rack so weight isn't an issue but shipping them I'm sure
would be dicey. Your input would be great, thanks ahead of time.

Mike Holtzinger

Re: Crest 8001/9001
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

I had an experience with these about 12 years ago. I installed a Theme Park Parkwide audio system using...I don't remember exactly, but it was close to a hundred of them, and there were quite a few infant mortalities, more than 10% for sure. I was able to buy the dead ones real cheap and i had them repaired by a local tech. These are old school amps with no fancy switch mode circuitry, so i would say if they're still working after all these years, they should be good and they're definitely repairable.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:01 PM »

Gentleman...............
Was considering purchasing 1 or 2 of these. More for a home/basement type deal as they won't be pushed real hard.
My question concerns repairing them if something should go awry. Are these difficult/expensive to repair? Do they
generally have to go back to Crest? They will just sit in a rack so weight isn't an issue but shipping them I'm sure

Marc,

Did you give up on the v1500's?

Marc Navarrette

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »

Marc,

Did you give up on the v1500's?
Nope, like them alot. But the Pro Series is what I really want. So I'm just getting some education from folks who have used them. Nothing written in stone right now.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »

Gentleman...............

There are several parts that are scarce, including output transistors.  This series is 20+ years old and Crest support reflects available parts.  Some independent techs and shops have inventory of critical items at prices that vary considerably.

While you may not stress these like a full tilt rock show, eventually component age will catch up with you.

Good amps, though.  We've still got around 30 of them.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »

Nope, like them alot. But the Pro Series is what I really want. So I'm just getting some education from folks who have used them. Nothing written in stone right now.

Look at ca series also, great stuff there also. 

Marc Navarrette

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »

Look at ca series also, great stuff there also.
Thanks all....................

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.