ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambient boundary mic?  (Read 12355 times)

Jim Le Gros

Ambient boundary mic?
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:03 AM »

Hi all,
I am looking for boundary mics with a cardoid pattern, these would be used as a pair of ambients for an Aviom type IEM system in a Church, Consideing the budget I am thinking about supplying Audix ADX60 mics (UK £174 or US $220ish) http://www.audixusa.com/docs/products/ADX60.shtml Trouble is there seems to be absoloutly no reviews around on the web (good or bad), So I supect that no one is familliar with these, please let me know if you have liked/detested these if you have tried them? I am a bit surprised that Audix have not made more effort to get them reviewd by the industry or more out there!

Any way from your experiance would you like to propose any other suitable mic products near this price range? These will be mounted on a stage area - Flat hard floor, one facing the congregation and the other picking up ambiant musician noise so it'll mostly get a lot of Drum kit, Elect guitar & Bass amp (Vocalists are'nt very strong, unfortunatley). They will have to be of reasonable build quaility as most of the sysetm is set-up every week, so I hope to get something that is fairly rugged in construction and connector quaility.

Thanks in advance,

Jim.
I have been around in Electronics, Communications and Audio long enough to appreciate the tranquillity of my own home! :)
Or put it another way: I am old enough to identify Bakelite, an RS232 protocol or an EL84, but I am smart enough to teach you youngsters a thing or two about Windoze or Android! :)

Jim Le Gros

Re: Ambient boundary mic?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »

I am also considering the BEYER MPC65v !
Will have a look at its directional qualities.
I have been around in Electronics, Communications and Audio long enough to appreciate the tranquillity of my own home! :)
Or put it another way: I am old enough to identify Bakelite, an RS232 protocol or an EL84, but I am smart enough to teach you youngsters a thing or two about Windoze or Android! :)

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »

And the intent for these mics is?

I understand the need to hear the "room" for people with In Ears.

But the band/vocals? The Aviom should be getting monitor/channel feeds from the mixer for all the instruments, vocals, etc.  A boundary mic will indeed pick up the drums well, some amps, and hardly any vocals.

Bob

I am also considering the BEYER MPC65v !
Will have a look at its directional qualities.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »

But the band/vocals? The Aviom should be getting monitor/channel feeds from the mixer for all the instruments, vocals, etc.  A boundary mic will indeed pick up the drums well, some amps, and hardly any vocals.

Bob

I'm with Bob. Why would you want an ambient mic t undo all that the monitor mix has done? It seems like a waste of an Aviom control channel to me.

Mac

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »

Bob

I'm with Bob. Why would you want an ambient mic t undo all that the monitor mix has done? It seems like a waste of an Aviom control channel to me.

Mac

Looks like a solution in search of a problem.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jim Le Gros

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »

Hi,
I think I have a habbit of thinking out loud in a forum such as this, so apologies to Bob & Mac.
With regard to the uses of the mics: The first is specifically requested so that the musicians can hear the congregational singing, the second is a bit less certain there will be occasions when a choral group will be singing with the band and micing may not be available or at times the drum kit may not be mic'ed, there could be other occasional purposes for it too.
The vocalists are directly mic'ed and their signals wil be routed directly back into the Aviom system I was simply commenting that there was little chance of hearing the vocalists above the louder instruments on-stage.

So if any one would like to comment on the mics I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim.

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

I have no data or have not used these mics.

We have always used small condenser(s) as audience mics - on a stand, aimed at the audience. Experience was with SM81, Oktava MK012. I am sure most any small condenser will work. They also will be more friendly as far as directionality and being able to adjust what is picked up based on their directionality AND if the choir is not mic'd, use the small condenser's to mic them (and send to the Aviom) or if the drumset is not mid'c, use one as an overhead or place by the right ear of the drummer aimed a the drumset (favoring the snare) and you now have a usable drum mic that can also be sent to the aviom.

The boundary mics will be of little use other than - uh, boundary mics whereas small condensers can be used in many situations....

Just a thought.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »

I haven't used your choice but I have used a few Boundry mics.  Most seem to be close to Omni no matter what they say.  The big exceptions are.

Crown PCC 160 and the Bartlet TM125  http://www.bartlettmics.com/tm125-1.html

The TM-125 fits your budget and is available without the miniature connector on the end of the mic so it is more rugged

Frank
Not to Code

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »

small condensers can be used in many situations....

Just a thought.

Such as "boundary" mics in the proper configuration/positioning.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jim Le Gros

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

Hi Guys,
Thanks, your input is appreciated  :)

Experimentally I would like to try a boundary mic especially as it will not need a mic stand, and I also know that the Church would benifit from buying a few decent quality directional condensors, so I am going to see what budget we have to work with, and perhaps try a bit of both.

Thanks again.

Jim.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.