ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambient boundary mic?  (Read 12479 times)

Arnold B. Krueger

Re: Ambient boundary mic?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49:49 AM »

We have always used small condenser(s) as audience mics - on a stand, aimed at the audience. Experience was with SM81, Oktava MK012. I am sure most any small condenser will work.

I've even used LD cardioids - namely Rode NT1s.

"The right answer" as to type of mic is highly dependent on the room and where you actually put the mics.

They also will be more friendly as far as directionality and being able to adjust what is picked up based on their directionality AND if the choir is not mic'd, use the small condenser's to mic them (and send to the Aviom) or if the drumset is not mid'c, use one as an overhead or place by the right ear of the drummer aimed a the drumset (favoring the snare) and you now have a usable drum mic that can also be sent to the aviom.

We currently use ECM 8000s hung by their cables over the platform as our ambience mics. 

There is some really tiny mic cable and there are some really tiny mics if appearance is a problem.

EmilBarnabas

• Barnabas MultiMedia
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »

Crown PCC 160 is the the industry standard. I have never used them for IEMs, but have used them to record church services.

Jim Le Gros

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »

My thanks to Arnold and Emil,

I have used the Crown PCC160's before, obviously a trusted device, but in this case the budget is not there.
And the present Church arangment means that they do not have the time/luxuary to fly over-head mics, as the venue is hired (Sunday mornings only; this is a temporary arrangment), so there is aprox 1Hr 15 mins provided to get 80% of a system rigged, sound-checked and possibly a quick rehersal in (acess sunday AM's only), this includes 4-6 Channels of foldback.

At present I am interested in the Bartlet TM125 or the BEYER MPC65v  But as they also hope to buy some general purpose directional condensor Cardiod mics, I hope to squeeze in a couple of those too.

Thanks for your thoughts guys,

Jim.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:43:16 PM by Jim Le Gros »
I have been around in Electronics, Communications and Audio long enough to appreciate the tranquillity of my own home! :)
Or put it another way: I am old enough to identify Bakelite, an RS232 protocol or an EL84, but I am smart enough to teach you youngsters a thing or two about Windoze or Android! :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.