ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Matrix Coms thread  (Read 15037 times)

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: The Matrix Coms thread
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »

If Cingular (AT&T) is the license holder, is that a good sign? The license is for "CW-PCS Broadband". The city is Tulsa, where Justice's PAC is.

Mac
That is a good sign.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »

Use the antenna that came with the TTI and orient it vertically. If you got the telescoping one, adjust it so the signal level (noise floor) is greatest; antenna should be fully, or near fully, collapsed.

Hmmm.....We didn't get an antenna with our unit. I remember because I had to purchase one after the fact from Full Compass (the A2003 that I mentioned earlier). Luckily I kept all the original packaging, but I checked it again and no antenna love.  :'(

I assume that this antenna will work for measuring the possible PCS interference? Looks like I'll have to call Newark and special order it as it's not listed on their website.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

Hmmm.....We didn't get an antenna with our unit. I remember because I had to purchase one after the fact from Full Compass (the A2003 that I mentioned earlier). Luckily I kept all the original packaging, but I checked it again and no antenna love.  :'(

I assume that this antenna will work for measuring the possible PCS interference? Looks like I'll have to call Newark and special order it as it's not listed on their website.
That antenna will work, though you may want to do a Google search for SMA telescoping antennas to check pricing; Newark isn't known for bargains. You may also want to try Saelig (the other importer of TTI) for antenna inventory.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: A Digital Partyline Comms ramble
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

I was told at a trade show in Australia a couple of years back that there was some setting somewhere that could enable it to work. At the time it sounded like a bit of a lie, because I would think that the electronic interface itself is what would govern this, and there is no "standard" impedance for mic cable.

Have you heard this at all?

Or do people have limited success the same way they do for running regular AES or DMX down mic cable. "It's wrong but if it works... right?"   :-\

My personal experience is that it does not work. My first time with Performer packs we tested regular mic cable in the shop, and go it to work out to 400', onsite with no alternative available, it did not work. I have also had a single 25' mic cable disable an entire channel of comm. AFAIK only 110Ω AES cable will work reliably.

Mac

This weekend at the BSMC in NY I was shown the Clear Com Helix system. This is a pretty cool digital partyline comm system. It has a couple of advantages over the Riedel Performer system. Advantage 1 is that it runs on standard mic cable, and can be split with standard twofers, or passive hardwired comm splitters. It can do this because it uses network technology similar to powerline ethernet. Advantage 2 is that the 4ch power supplies can be linked via standard Ethernet to expand the system in blocks of 4 channels up to 20 channels, and every channel is transmitted at the same time. The channel assignment happens in the beltpack, not the master station, so individual packs in a line can be assigned to any 2 channels out of the whole system plus a system wide program input that is a 3rd listen channel in each pack. Each master power supply can power up to 20 belt packs from 2 PS outputs. I assume that means 10 packs per output. Channel labels on the packs are shared with the master and can be up to 12 (10?) characters so you make clear concise labels. Four channel user stations are in the pipeline. They may be either 1RU rack mount like the power supply, or a smaller desktop station (or both).

Each 4ch master has 3 expansion slots. in building a larger system 1 of those slots would have the Ethernet card. This is how you connect multiple masters together. If you are connecting to a matrix system, RF comm system, or phone line, or some other outside hardware, the other 2 slots could be filled with a couple of 2ch 2W/4W interfaces. This lets you interface all your channels to the matrix in a native 4 wire mode.

This system is not quite in production yet, but it was a working demo where I was able to assign channels at the pack, and program other functions. Audio quality seemed fine.

This was an impressive demo.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:54:27 PM by Mac Kerr »

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »

This weekend at the BSMC in NY I was shown the Clear Com Helix system. This is a pretty cool digital partyline comm system. It has a couple of advantages over the Riedel Performer system.
This system is not quite in production yet, but it was a working demo where I was able to assign channels at the pack, and program other functions. Audio quality seemed fine.

This was an impressive demo.

It I recall correctly Clear com was showing the Helix system at AES last fall. I think I was operational but I'm not sure. Talking to my dealer however it's still way out.
Quote from: My Dealer
No we are not able to sell HelixNet yet. It actually isn't released yet. But it will be about a year before we are able to sell it.
This was in March.

While I cant speak (except in lust) about Riedel's matix products and wireless, my church installed a Performer Party line system about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. I think we are just under 20 stations, mostly CD2's are C3's. If Helix net had been available when we purchased I think we would have given it very serious consideration as long is the price were similar to Riedel. My concern with the Helix net line up is that the don't have as many options for types of stations (4 ch rack, or 2/4 ch belt pack vs 2 ch BP, 2 ch rack, 2 ch wall, and 4 ch rack for Riedel) This may or may not matter depending on you application.

We first looked at Riedel after I talked with Mac and several forum members about it after a session at AES '08. It's really very price completive on a feature for feature basis with the various analog offerings.

Philip

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 09:31:43 PM »

It I recall correctly Clear com was showing the Helix system at AES last fall. I think I was operational but I'm not sure. Talking to my dealer however it's still way out. This was in March.

While I cant speak (except in lust) about Riedel's matix products and wireless, my church installed a Performer Party line system about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. I think we are just under 20 stations, mostly CD2's are C3's. If Helix net had been available when we purchased I think we would have given it very serious consideration as long is the price were similar to Riedel. My concern with the Helix net line up is that the don't have as many options for types of stations (4 ch rack, or 2/4 ch belt pack vs 2 ch BP, 2 ch rack, 2 ch wall, and 4 ch rack for Riedel) This may or may not matter depending on you application.

The guys I spoke to said later this year. They also mentioned wall mount stations, desktop stations and rack mount stations. There was no talk of 4ch beltpacks, only 4ch rack and desk stations.

The fact that the channel matrixing is done in the user station is fabulous, because every station on a loop can have different channels.

Mac

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »

The guys I spoke to said later this year. They also mentioned wall mount stations, desktop stations and rack mount stations. There was no talk of 4ch beltpacks, only 4ch rack and desk stations.

The fact that the channel matrixing is done in the user station is fabulous, because every station on a loop can have different channels.

Mac
I'm really glad to hear about the wider variety of stations. The matrixing in the stations is a really valuable feature.

Not that I'm in a position to buy but I hope their time lines and early announcement are more than just creating FUD to slow Riedel's sales.

Philip

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.