ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How many subwoofers do you need?  (Read 14543 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: How many subwoofers do you need?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »

Is there a formula to determine the ratio of subwoofers to mid and highs that are needed to provide an even mix? We are installing a system in a new building and I want to make sure we have the correct mixture of subs and other speakers.
An even mix would assume that the levels of the subs equals the mains

In many cases the sub level needs to be quite a bit higher for it to sound balanced

This could be between 10-20db
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »

Is there a formula to determine the ratio of subwoofers to mid and highs that are needed to provide an even mix? We are installing a system in a new building and I want to make sure we have the correct mixture of subs and other speakers.
You may only need 1. Ask Ivan if the Matterhorn is ready for public consumption....
Failing that, ask your suppliers if they have prediction software for the boxes you are interested in buying. That shuld get you in the right ballpark before asking for a demo rig.
- You are going to hire in a demo rig before you purchase, aren't you ??
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »

You may only need 1. Ask Ivan if the Matterhorn is ready for public consumption....
Failing that, ask your suppliers if they have prediction software for the boxes you are interested in buying. That shuld get you in the right ballpark before asking for a demo rig.
- You are going to hire in a demo rig before you purchase, aren't you ??

DING DING DING.  We have a winner.

Seriously, if the OP is designing a system for his HoW, he's vastly under-qualified.  If he's checking up on a design that is pending, he's vastly under-qualified.  I'm glad that he came here for our review but our offerings are limited in both scope and accuracy because we're not intimately familiar with his facility, budget, program material, audience & user expectations, and/or future expansion plans.

Any reputable bidder or manufacturer will be able to provide some kind of demo system, and any potential purchaser that does not avail him/her self of such demos is asking for problems down the road.

Just my $0.02 worth, and you got it for free!

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Uwe Riemer

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »

The formula of needed subwoofers involves some complicated astronomic calculations and is top secret,
but I can give you the formula for needed spare light bulbs for free:

The number of spare light bulbs to bring is the actual number you brought to the job plus two  :)

Uwe

John Neil

• SR Forums
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »

How many subwoofers do you need?

All of them.  I will need all of the subs.  But I can't, for the life of me, imagine having the evenness of my mix determined by the quantity of subs.  Isn't that what all those knobs do?

Some days it's simply for stacking height.

At the end of the show, you either had enough subbage, or you didn't.  During the first song, you can't go back to the truck. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:33:33 PM by John Neil »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »

All of them.  I will need all of the subs.  But I can't, for the life of me, imagine having the evenness of my mix determined by the quantity of subs.  Isn't that what all those knobs do?
Coverage and potential output are a function of the speaker system and you'll probably need to do less with the knobs if you have the right system to start with.  Unfortunately, the 'fix it in the mix' approach may be what is being applied rather than starting with a well conceived system designed to fit the space and potential applications.

Some days it's simply for stacking height.

At the end of the show, you either had enough subbage, or you didn't.  During the first song, you can't go back to the truck.
Again, the OP noted "We are installing a system in a new building" so it's apparently not just for a show, stacking height is probably not relevant and the truck left long ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.