ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Micing a coaxial speaker  (Read 9131 times)

Louie Warren

• "Makin' it up as I go along" - Radney Foster
    • Ludietunes
Micing a coaxial speaker
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »

I have a Peavey KB-2 keyboard amp for my Roland GR-30.   I have received numerous complaints from techs that my level (direct out) is pegging the board...  all gain down and still peaking.   There is no way to adjust the level except cutting the channel down to nearly off and my GR-30 output to almost nothing.  I then have to crank my IEM so I can hear it; the ambient sound I had wanted is non-existent.  I have ordered a Dayton in-line attenuator for the direct out to help solve this problem, but it has not arrived.   I have a gig tomorrow and need to mic it.   I have an EV N/D 468 and plan on micing it.   Whats the best way to get a good sound without using two mics and still avoiding all tweeter or all woofer on the coaxial speaker?
Please help spread the word!
http://www.ludietunes.com/Stolen/

Remember... I'm just a guitar player

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Micing a coaxial speaker
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:51:15 AM »

I have a Peavey KB-2 keyboard amp for my Roland GR-30.   I have received numerous complaints from techs that my level (direct out) is pegging the board...  all gain down and still peaking.

Tell them to use an XLR-F to TRS-M adapter and use the line input of the board instead of the mic input.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:43:24 AM »

Wherever you play, the mixing consoles should have something like a -20db pad on the board.  If they don't, YOU might want to consider purchasing a couple of in-line XLR signal attenuators and keep them with you all the time.  That way, when you play somewhere that doesn't have a pad on the channel input of the board, you can give the FOH person one of your attenuators to use for your channel during the show.  Or, you can certainly do what Patrick Tracy mentioned as well.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »

I'll just assume that there is no XLR to TRS  adapter available, the available DI boxes don't have a pad built in, and there is no pad on the mixer's channel strip.

Hey, it happens.

I am confident that if you put the mic in front of the tweeter of the coaxial speaker, the lows will still find a way into the microphone.

Call it a hunch.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

chuck clark

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »

Hi Louie, Dave is right, the lows (and mids) will get in there. If you find the sound is just TOO bright simply move the mic slightly off to one side until you find the sweet spot.  It's pretty common to mic a Marshall 12" spkr. midway between the center and edge of the cone and then adjust to taste. I don't know why that wouldn't work for a co-ax too. Happy sailing!
Chuck 
PS: you can also vary the distance of the mic from the grillcloth anywhere from right up on it to a foot or so away, thus varying the proximity effect of the mic and the amount of "ambience" (some would call it bleed-ha!) getting into the mic. Ahh, the fine art of mic placement. Have fun!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »

Been there, done that. Most people are inclined to mic the speaker straight on, which is of course a mistake. You want to place the mic about 1-2 inches away from the cabinet with the element PARALLEL to the outer edge of the drivers cone, or as far away from the center of the speaker as possible. That would normally put the mic at a 30 degree angle to the face of the cabinet.

You could also ask the BE if he can insert a pad in the line for you. Check the board, as that may be an option.

Last but not least, there's always a cheap Behringer 4 channel or equal mixer for $40 dollars. Run your signal to the mini mixer, adjust the input gain, and run the output to the main board. Not the best way to do it but it does work with the benefit of allowing you some control over tone and a headphone mix without going to the main board.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:37:12 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »

Get a cheap Behringer active di box.  At next too "no money" and with 40db of pad (2 X 20db pads in series) you can knock it down low enough for any mixer.

Dave Barnett

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:46:07 AM »

Why not just connect a direct box between the keyboard and the amp?

Nicolas Lowman

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »

DING DING DING
"Tell him what he's won Bob"

I have a friend, who has a buddy, that said this is how the professional people do this kind of thing.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »

DING DING DING
"Tell him what he's won Bob"

I have a friend, who has a buddy, that said this is how the professional people do this kind of thing.

So the answer is to attempt to lower the incoming signal to the amp using a DI ??

DING DING DING, nothing.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.