ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX615m and PRX618s-xlf  (Read 10549 times)

Randall Hyde

Re: JBL PRX615m and PRX618s-xlf
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »

So I'm about to pull the trigger on two of the JBL PRX615m's and PRX618s-xlf's and just wanted last minute input, pro's and con's.

These are for my outdoor movie company and I'll eventually be adding two more subs and up to four more mains, just don't have that kind of cash for an all at once purchase.

I've been running Mackie SRM450's and while they have worked fine I have had some minor issues with them clipping out on really dynamic potions of movie tracks, Transformers really gives them a challenge.  I'm guessing these are a good step-up from the Mackies?

I just finished four movie nights using an old pair of JBL MPro 225 and Mpro 418s cabinets (powered by a pair of XTi 2000 amps and a DriveRack PA as the cross over).  The 225 columns are extremely directional, so I put them about 50-60' apart, back from the audience, and aimed at the same point at the back/center point of the FOH field. They worked great.

I realize weight and cost might be an issue, but I'd suggest the PRX625 cabinets. They're only 60 pounds but the extra driver will help a bit (though it will be more directional than the PRX615, which is great if you've got a deep audience, not so great if you've got a shallow audience).  As others have pointed out, the PRX638 will probably produce better sound, but in an outdoor movie night setting, with tons of people talking, kids screaming, traffic/environmental noise, etc., etc., I doubt the difference is going to be heard (folks, this isn't a theater here).

When you do have the bucks, I'd recommend two PRX625 columns on each side and cross-fire them. That will give you a very wide sound field without a whole lot of comb filtering (from each pair on the side, of course you still have issues with comb filtering from your left and right pair but there's little you can do about that if you want a stereo mix). Put the cabinets on (block) stands and get them at least 2-3' off the ground. The subs, of course, should be front and center (don't put them under the tops).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

What do you mean? We ran 4 of the 618-xlf's center clustered this weekend and the sound on Transformers was wicked!

Well, once you discover the roughly one octave you are missing by using SR subs you might change your mind ;-)

I don't doubt you had "bass", but you missed the true sub-bass.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.