ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX615m and PRX618s-xlf  (Read 10499 times)

Chris dePaola

• Outdoor Movie Events | AirScreen Inflatable Movie Screen Rentals | Blazing Star Cinema
JBL PRX615m and PRX618s-xlf
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »

So I'm about to pull the trigger on two of the JBL PRX615m's and PRX618s-xlf's and just wanted last minute input, pro's and con's.

These are for my outdoor movie company and I'll eventually be adding two more subs and up to four more mains, just don't have that kind of cash for an all at once purchase.

I've been running Mackie SRM450's and while they have worked fine I have had some minor issues with them clipping out on really dynamic potions of movie tracks, Transformers really gives them a challenge.  I'm guessing these are a good step-up from the Mackies?

Scott Bolt

Re: JBL PRX615m and PRX618s-xlf
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

I would say that with subs, it is a substantial upgrade. 

Just the PRX612m alone, I would say that it is better, with more head-room, but not a big step up.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »

So I'm about to pull the trigger on two of the JBL PRX615m's and PRX618s-xlf's and just wanted last minute input, pro's and con's.

These are for my outdoor movie company and I'll eventually be adding two more subs and up to four more mains, just don't have that kind of cash for an all at once purchase.

I've been running Mackie SRM450's and while they have worked fine I have had some minor issues with them clipping out on really dynamic potions of movie tracks, Transformers really gives them a challenge.  I'm guessing these are a good step-up from the Mackies?

Curious why the 615's?  I would think for movies you would want to go with the 635's over the 618xlf.  I hate the sound of 15's only in a top unless it is just hard rock stuff, but for everything else a 3 way box sounds so much better, or at least a 12" has smoother vocal reproduction. (IMO)

I currently have that exact system on order, been eagerly waiting its arrival.

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:52:25 AM »

Curious why the 615's?  I would think for movies you would want to go with the 635's over the 618xlf.  I hate the sound of 15's only in a top unless it is just hard rock stuff, but for everything else a 3 way box sounds so much better, or at least a 12" has smoother vocal reproduction. (IMO)

Man, building a 5.1/7.1 cinema system from some PRX's would be lovely.

635's full range left/right, two XLF's as LF channel in the centre, 612m's for surround and centre, put the centre ontop of the subs, surround's on stands.

Expand with four more XLF's, two under the 635's to make left/right 4 way, 4 XLF's centre for LF channel.

Chris dePaola

• Outdoor Movie Events | AirScreen Inflatable Movie Screen Rentals | Blazing Star Cinema
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »

Size, weight, and cost... Plus the competition is typically using Eon's or Mackie SRM450's so I need to keep my stuff in close to the same budget range so I don't price myself out of the business. With these I should still be able to charge the same amount for a gig and in the off season these I'm guessing will be a better sub-rental then the mackies...  I could be wrong on that but we'll see.

Can't wait for their arrival to see how they handle Transformers or some other similar movie.

Chris dePaola

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »

Man, building a 5.1/7.1 cinema system from some PRX's would be lovely.

635's full range left/right, two XLF's as LF channel in the centre, 612m's for surround and centre, put the centre ontop of the subs, surround's on stands.

Expand with four more XLF's, two under the 635's to make left/right 4 way, 4 XLF's centre for LF channel.

A 5.1 or 7.1 set-up as you described would be nice, then again it would get used very little as thats going to be out the budget range of 99.9% of potential customers.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »

You'll want something to go under those subs if you really want to reproduce some of the crazy (in a good way) stuff that's on some of today's films.

Chris dePaola

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »

You'll want something to go under those subs if you really want to reproduce some of the crazy (in a good way) stuff that's on some of today's films.

What do you mean? We ran 4 of the 618-xlf's center clustered this weekend and the sound on Transformers was wicked!

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 06:27:21 AM »

What do you mean? We ran 4 of the 618-xlf's center clustered this weekend and the sound on Transformers was wicked!

If the XLF is (as reported) the same as a 718 (which is 1/2 of a 728), then relative to 60Hz it is (as independently measured) down 3.5dB at 40 Hz and 9.5dB at 30Hz (and there's a nice 2.5dB bump at 80Hz).

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »

If the XLF is (as reported) the same as a 718 (which is 1/2 of a 728), then relative to 60Hz it is (as independently measured) down 3.5dB at 40 Hz and 9.5dB at 30Hz (and there's a nice 2.5dB bump at 80Hz).

These passive box tunings might not be the same in this box due to the DSP tunings.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.