ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Identify this speaker  (Read 15476 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Identify this speaker
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »

The question was: What is this speaker?
Now I can choose the right amp to replace the Realistic 100watt mixer/amp that is currently running this cluster in series (?!) with some 4-ohm ceiling mount speakers in the back rooms.

I note that the CL-1 backplate says 4-ohms, while the CL-2 (portable version) backplate says 8-ohms. Yet I measured impedance (of CL-1) at 5.6ohms at 1KHz, so maybe this is really an 8-ohm cluster.

A DC resistance of 5.6Ω might mean it is an 8Ω speaker, but an actual impedance measurement at 1K only says at 1K it is 5.6Ω. Measure a frequency sweep and see where and how wide the lowest impedance dip is before you call it an 8Ω speaker.

I'd want to replace that hanging hardware as well. The non-rated eyebolt seems to be pulling through the plywood. This system repair should include more than a new amp.

Mac

Marty McCann

• Meridian, Mississippi USA
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

This speaker is hanging in a church, being powered by a 100watt Realistic mixer/amp.
Picture is taken from underneath and behind.
Does anyone recognize this speaker?
It looks rather EV-ish to me... I'm searching EV's old product archives.

I was confused as well as the CL-1 is an 8 Ohm  Black Tolex covered enclosure, with no flying points and the CL-2 is a 4 Ohm painted enclosure with fly points.

However in looking at the photo of the rear of the "CL-1" enclosure it appears to have been painted over in white. 

Thus (to me) that makes those fly points suspicious.  I would also advise that the foam suspension on those 6 inch speakers may be sufficiently deteriorated by now.  Peavey no longer has those transducers as replacement parts.

Also from the apparent rust on the jacks, the switching Bi-amp input jacks could be an issue as well.

Nothing on the CL-1 but here is  URL for the CL-2:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300654.pdf

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

I was confused as well as the CL-1 is an 8 Ohm  Black Tolex covered enclosure, with no flying points and the CL-2 is a 4 Ohm painted enclosure with fly points.

However in looking at the photo of the rear of the "CL-1" enclosure it appears to have been painted over in white. 

Thus (to me) that makes those fly points suspicious.
I missed that but now that you mention it, in the one picture the serial number sticker says "Model CL-1 Flat Black" and you can pretty clearly see it was painted white.  However, based on the product datasheet linked and the information I've found online, isn't the CL-2 the 8 Ohm, Tolex covered, expanded metal grille portable version and the CL-1 the church/install version?

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

Thus (to me) that makes those fly points suspicious.  I would also advise that the foam suspension on those 6 inch speakers may be sufficiently deteriorated by now.  Peavey no longer has those transducers as replacement parts.

Also from the apparent rust on the jacks, the switching Bi-amp input jacks could be an issue as well.

Nothing on the CL-1 but here is  URL for the CL-2:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300654.pdf

You got that backwards.  CL-1 Cluster is the install version. Yes, somebody painted it white, for good looks in the church.  And yes, looks like they invented the "fly points".  CL-2 Cluster is the portable version with handles.

As the speaker is working, and they have not asked me to mess with it, I'm not going to touch it.  I just had to know what it is in order to specify the correct amplifier.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.