Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

30hz subs to go with TSW-721's

(1/2) > >>

Daniel Mock:
So I have a bunch of Turbosound TSW-721s:
ftp://ftp.turbosound.com/datasheets/legacy_products/tsw721.pdf

Problem is that they only play down to 50hz

Is there some subs that play down to 30hz that would match with TSW-721s well?

Thanks

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Daniel Mock on May 19, 2011, 01:36:44 PM ---So I have a bunch of Turbosound TSW-721s:
ftp://ftp.turbosound.com/datasheets/legacy_products/tsw721.pdf

Problem is that they only play down to 50hz

Is there some subs that play down to 30hz that would match with TSW-721s well?

Thanks

--- End quote ---
The TSW-721 will require a HP around 45 Hz, while a sub going down to 30 Hz needs a HP around 25 Hz.
A horn loaded sub that goes lower than the TSW-721 will have a longer path length, so the TSW-721 (and the top cabinets) will need a longer delay time to match them, otherwise they will not "play well" together. I can't think of any cabinet with LF extension to 30 Hz that would use similar EQ to the TSW-721, running in parralel mode still would require separate processing for each type of cabinet to sound coherent.
Rather than trying to "match" cabinets, you might think in terms of subs (sub subs?) brought out for the gigs that need the VLF,  crossing them from say 30-60, and the TSW-721 from 60-to wherever upper frequency you run them.

ADR, DSL, McCauly have some big guns to cover the VLF range.

John Neil:
I took a 721 pair and front loaded double 18 to the grassy knoll for measurement.  Phase and magnitude traces were identical within the useful passband ignoring a 2.8 db and 3.1 ms offset. The 18 showed extension to 30 Hz the 21 didn't.

I guess word on the street was that horns a direct radiators couldn't play together...and would look radically different under the microscope.  Maybe i misunderstood.  Others on this forum (especially Art) are far better versed in cabinet design than I, and can perhaps speak to factors at play.  I'm willing to post traces if topic swerve is acceptable.

I've heard that turbo designed these with a minimum block size of six in mind.  I haven't field tested to follow the impact of cluster size on extension.  Word on the street is that bigger blocks gain extension...don't know how much you've tried. The flood system manual diagrams suggest that big means HUGE.  My experience is that useable 40 appears beginning at 4 per side...a very empirical observation based on some hand-waving.  YMMV.

Jeff Bankston:
Ciare 18.00SW 20-200 cps. http://www.usspeaker.com/18.htm#Ciare

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: John Neil on May 20, 2011, 10:54:56 PM ---I took a 721 pair and front loaded double 18 to the grassy knoll for measurement.  Phase and magnitude traces were identical within the useful passband ignoring a 2.8 db and 3.1 ms offset. The 18 showed extension to 30 Hz the 21 didn't.

I guess word on the street was that horns a direct radiators couldn't play together...and would look radically different under the microscope.  Maybe i misunderstood.  Others on this forum (especially Art) are far better versed in cabinet design than I, and can perhaps speak to factors at play.  I'm willing to post traces if topic swerve is acceptable.

I've heard that turbo designed these with a minimum block size of six in mind.  I haven't field tested to follow the impact of cluster size on extension.  Word on the street is that bigger blocks gain extension...don't know how much you've tried. The flood system manual diagrams suggest that big means HUGE.  My experience is that useable 40 appears beginning at 4 per side...a very empirical observation based on some hand-waving.  YMMV.

--- End quote ---

Do you have those measurements to show?  The phase response should show differences-if the 18" were ported.  Sealed they might be closer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version