ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replying in the Marketplace  (Read 4002 times)

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
Replying in the Marketplace
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:30:46 am »

I realize it's LAB policy to keep discussion out of the Marketplace, but is it really necessary to disable the REPLY button in that section of the forum (as I assume has been done since I can't seem to find it... and definitely not in the same place as the other forums)?

Sometimes asking a question about an item is necessary, and if it's something you know others are likely to ask, it makes no sense to send a PM. For example: "where is this item located?"

Okay, just saw Mac's post about this issue. I suppose the solution to the problem is to send a PM, and hope that the seller is smart enough to realize that what you are asking may be relevant to a bunch of people, and edit their message. That is if editing a Marketplace post is allowed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:34:57 am by Duncan McLennan »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Replying in the Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:08 pm »

kay, just saw Mac's post about this issue. I suppose the solution to the problem is to send a PM, and hope that the seller is smart enough to realize that what you are asking may be relevant to a bunch of people, and edit their message. That is if editing a Marketplace post is allowed.

Editing is allowed, and eventually will have no time limit on it. Currently while we are still in the testing phase it has the same timeout that the other forums have. It is being worked on.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »

OK, having a problem here myself. Besides not seeing reply, I cannot seem to find the "edit" button.

I am using the "core" layout

Am I missing something? I can remove or delete it, but no edit, also cannot reply.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »

OK, having a problem here myself. Besides not seeing reply, I cannot seem to find the "edit" button.

I am using the "core" layout

Am I missing something? I can remove or delete it, but no edit, also cannot reply.

The situation is still the same as it was when I explained it in the post right above yours. We are working on the edit timeout issue.

Mac

Fred Dorado

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:29:01 pm »

ok, I think I missed that and didn't completely connect that with the original post.

Is there  a temporary solution?

Are we allowed to delete and then remake the initial post with the changes? or do we still need to wait the 30 days?

Would enabling reply until the edit time limit is removed?

I actually prefer the edit time limit so that the original information is not changed in case of a dispute or something, though the deleting of threads for sold items makes that a moot point I guess

thanks Mac

Tim Mitchell

• Huntsville Alabama USA
    • Wooferhound Sound and Lighting
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:15:07 pm »

Why in the world would you want to prevent public discussion about an item for sale or Wanted to Buy ?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »

Why in the world would you want to prevent public discussion about an item for sale or Wanted to Buy ?

Discussion has always been disallowed in the Marketplace. Why in the world would you want other potential buyers to know you are interested. It is just as easy to correspond by PM or email as it is by forum posts. If the OP realizes they have left out some info they can edit their post to include it.

Posting has been defeated to prevent the gratuitous "bumping" that was rampant in the old Marketplace.

Deke Lockrem

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:24 am »

Big mistake...these new forums are un impressive so far

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:06 pm »

Big mistake...

I'll say, reading the posting rules is always a big mistake.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section.

Mac

Fred Dorado

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:19:27 pm »

While discussion was not allowed in the old market place, it did happen at times and was helpful. It could clarify product features or models etc.

The issue of other people knowing your interested used to be a preference. You could contact privately or publicly. There is no longer a choice.

I am not on as much as others, but did not think that the bumping was gratuitous and thought the moderators did an excellent job of handling it when it was.

I do understand that does make more work for you and the other mods and it is easier just to delete the feature.

Part of the bigger issue is the perspective by those in charge of the value of the market place and it's role in the forum.

There are other ways to handle it than the way that has been chosen, but no matter what way it ends up being there are benefits and detriments to each. Ultimately you have to pick a horse and run with it.

The model has been chosen and until it changes we either use it or move on.

I am sure once the ability to edit is full functional it will help some. I was hoping for a temp solution until that happened.

Discussion has always been disallowed in the Marketplace. Why in the world would you want other potential buyers to know you are interested. It is just as easy to correspond by PM or email as it is by forum posts. If the OP realizes they have left out some info they can edit their post to include it.

Posting has been defeated to prevent the gratuitous "bumping" that was rampant in the old Marketplace.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:19:27 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.