ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical safety question  (Read 6981 times)

Rafi Singer

• Singer Production Company
Electrical safety question
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »

This might be an obvious answer, but I figured I'd ask it anyhow.

I was taking a look at the QSC PL4.0's and saw that they use a twist-lock 30A connector. This would prove to be somewhat impractical, as some of the locations I would want to use it would not have that type of receptacle available. Assuming I could have a separate circuit for the subs, is there anything inherently dangerous/bad about using an adapter to plug it into a standard Edison 20A outlet?

John Neil

• SR Forums
Re: Electrical safety question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:40:17 AM »

I know "someone" who tripped a 20a with a 4.0.  It wasn't under "normal" conditions. 

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »

I was taking a look at the QSC PL4.0's and saw that they use a twist-lock 30A connector. This would prove to be somewhat impractical, as some of the locations I would want to use it would not have that type of receptacle available. Assuming I could have a separate circuit for the subs, is there anything inherently dangerous/bad about using an adapter to plug it into a standard Edison 20A outlet?

The  QSC specs state that this Amp requires a 30 amp circuit,  Why would you think a 20 amp circuit is appropriate only to you ?

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:33:13 AM »

Build an adapter cable.. L5-30 (I think) female to either the 20 or 15 amp Edison male, and accept that you might trip breakers when running hard.  This would be 'safe' in that you are not using wiring devices (the plugs/receptacles) on a service that is protected by a breaker or fuse rated for more than the lowest rated device, presuming the circuit the Edison it on is protected for it's 15/20 amp rating.

Unsafe would be building this adapter or wiring a 15/20 amp Edison to the amp cord and then plugging into a circuit with a 30 amp breaker.

That's the bare bones physics of it; Code may not like this depending on where you are.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rafi Singer

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »

The  QSC specs state that this Amp requires a 30 amp circuit,  Why would you think a 20 amp circuit is appropriate only to you ?

Hammer

My thinking is along the lines of what Tim said above. You're dealing with a higher pull, rather than a higher push. The plugging a 20A device into a 30A socket is a no-brainer. However, I am not sure what the risks are of plugging a spec'ed 30A device into a 20A circuit, aside from potentially tripping a breaker. Ergo, I'm asking everyone else!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »

Follow Tim's advice.  I do it all the time(and I'll bet many others do also) with a PL 4 and have never blown a 20 amp circuit.  I do make sure it is the only amp on that circuit.

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »

I currently have a pair of 4.0's sharing a 30 amp circuit and I have yet to trip a circuit.  The amps are very efficient.  Take Tim's advice and build an adapter.  You should be fine.  disclaimer, I don't use them on subs.  I never did like the way they sounded on subs.

Rafi Singer

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »

I currently have a pair of 4.0's sharing a 30 amp circuit and I have yet to trip a circuit.  The amps are very efficient.  Take Tim's advice and build an adapter.  You should be fine.  disclaimer, I don't use them on subs.  I never did like the way they sounded on subs.

AHA!!! This was my initial thought of application. What in a similar range would recommend?

Tracy Garner

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »

AHA!!! This was my initial thought of application. What in a similar range would recommend?

...same goes for Crown MA 2400 and higher except they used that camper-type 30Amp plug.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »

I think you should try them for subs and draw your own conclussion.  The PL 4.0 has worked for me  and many others with subs!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.