ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones Recommendations?  (Read 14246 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
Re: Headphones Recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »

Everything is "exaggerated down low" when you're sitting behind the stacks.

Headaches included..

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »

I found the 280s to be bit exagerrated down low. I use HD-25s. Great external noise isolation and sound a bit flatter. Great when your doing monitors and you've been jammed behind a megalithic FOH stack.

Do a quick google on the 'tack mod' for HD280s. I did it to mine and it tightened up the low end considerably!! I put on a pair of stock ones now and wonder what people like about them!

Nothing else seems to be affected after doing the mod.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

I have been using a pair of Equation Audio RP-21 headphones for a few years now, and I like how flat of a response they seem to have.  They aren't exaggerated in the lows (though there is a version like that if you want it) and they're "smooth" up top. 

They're not the prettiest and don't fold up compactly like some other cans; they have a detachable cord (hasn't been a problem, but I still don't like it).  At $90-$100 they are a great deal.

I got mine from 8th Street Music...great store, close to home, and still going strong.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rafi Singer

• Singer Production Company
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »

+1 on the Sennheiser HD280's. They're durable as all hell, sound pretty good, isolate well, and their customer support is outstanding.

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »

I bought a pair of GK Ultraphones a few years ago. The isolation and sound are both above average. Every time I've let a drummer borrow them, they've wanted to take them home.  The only thing I don't like about them is wearing them on a hot day.

At home, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD590, which sound good, but provide no isolation.

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »

I bought a pair of GK Ultraphones a few years ago. The isolation and sound are both above average. Every time I've let a drummer borrow them, they've wanted to take them home.  The only thing I don't like about them is wearing them on a hot day.

At home, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD590, which sound good, but provide no isolation.

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

I have and use the Ultraphones as my primary headphones for live sound, live recording and live broadcast.  The reason I didn't mention them in my original reply was the OP stipulation of "a couple hundred dollars".  Isolation rules!!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »

The OP may find it worthwhile to cough up the extra $30; I did!  ;D

I have and use the Ultraphones as my primary headphones for live sound, live recording and live broadcast.  The reason I didn't mention them in my original reply was the OP stipulation of "a couple hundred dollars".  Isolation rules!!!!
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.  I've been looking to invest in a quality pair of headphones for a while.  While I primarily want them to use while mixing live gigs, I would also like them to be suitable for the occasional audio editing project on my computer and/or just listening to music on my computer.  (I really don't know if this makes a difference or not).  Right now I've been borrowing AKG K77's from my school whenever I need them.  Frankly, this is becoming annoying, and I can't use them for any of the freelance work I do.  I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.  Thanks.

Oh, and I was also wondering if any of you had a recommendation for the best kick drum mic?  ;)

I picked up a pair of Audio Technica M50's a few years back for really cheap (~$80) and they're fairly decent. They have a bit of a boost in the lows and the top end isn't as clean as some others, but they've served me well. Big improvement over the 7506's I was using previously.

I've got a set of Shure 840's, not a big fan of them though. For some reason they just don't quite sound right to me.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »

While I primarily want them to use while mixing live gigs, I would also like them to be suitable for the occasional audio editing project on my computer and/or just listening to music on my computer.
..... I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.  Thanks.

I have been using the Ultraphones for over 10 years now.
While I am not really a big fan of the Sony 7506, they sound quite different once mounted in the Peltor muffs.

The isolation they provide is incredible, and as a side bonus, I am running the headphone volume a lot lower than I used to. My previous headphones were Sony MDR-CD450, but I got tired of replacing the ear padding every 2 years (at 60 bucks a set !)
You can get the replacement Peltor ear pads at any safety supply type outlet. I bought 2 sets for 10 bucks when I received the Ultraphones, and have not had to use them yet.

They are NOT the best sounding 'phones on the market, but they are very good in loud environments.

Spend the money, you won't be sorry.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.  I've been looking to invest in a quality pair of headphones for a while.  While I primarily want them to use while mixing live gigs, I would also like them to be suitable for the occasional audio editing project on my computer and/or just listening to music on my computer.  (I really don't know if this makes a difference or not).  Right now I've been borrowing AKG K77's from my school whenever I need them.  Frankly, this is becoming annoying, and I can't use them for any of the freelance work I do.  I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.  Thanks.

Oh, and I was also wondering if any of you had a recommendation for the best kick drum mic?  ;)

I love my AKG K271 headphones for listening/editing and live.  However they do not fold or allow one ear use.  They are very flat.

My recommendation to you would be Audio-Technica ATH-M50.  They have a boosted low end that is a really nice match to the way I tune a PA with a moderate bump in the subs.  I bought the ATs and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 at the same time and liked the ATH-50 so much better.

If you want maximum isolation, I have 2 pair of the Direct Sound EX-29 at my venue which have been great.

--Andrew
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.