ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones Recommendations?  (Read 14251 times)

Dan Miele

Headphones Recommendations?
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.  I've been looking to invest in a quality pair of headphones for a while.  While I primarily want them to use while mixing live gigs, I would also like them to be suitable for the occasional audio editing project on my computer and/or just listening to music on my computer.  (I really don't know if this makes a difference or not).  Right now I've been borrowing AKG K77's from my school whenever I need them.  Frankly, this is becoming annoying, and I can't use them for any of the freelance work I do.  I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.  Thanks.

Oh, and I was also wondering if any of you had a recommendation for the best kick drum mic?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:46:57 PM by Dan Miele »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Headphones Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.  I've been looking to invest in a quality pair of headphones for a while.  While I primarily want them to use while mixing live gigs, I would also like them to be suitable for the occasional audio editing project on my computer and/or just listening to music on my computer.  (I really don't know if this makes a difference or not).  Right now I've been borrowing AKG K77's from my school whenever I need them.  Frankly, this is becoming annoying, and I can't use them for any of the freelance work I do.  I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.  Thanks.

Oh, and I was also wondering if any of you had a recommendation for the best kick drum mic?

Many folks like the Sennheiser 280's and they come in around $100.  For your combined usage they'd be very good.  They're super comfortable for long hours of editing/mixing, but they do have some plastic bits on them that will break if you hit them wrong.  Doesn't really affect anything, but I'd like it if they didn't do that.

Probably the best bang for the buck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Shy Clyman

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »

Many folks like the Sennheiser 280's and they come in around $100.  For your combined usage they'd be very good.  They're super comfortable for long hours of editing/mixing, but they do have some plastic bits on them that will break if you hit them wrong.  Doesn't really affect anything, but I'd like it if they didn't do that.

Probably the best bang for the buck.

I really like the Senny 280s...you can do anything with them as the above poster mentioned...throw some in your live rig leave em in the studio whatever. THey sound nice, have good isolation and are preety cheap as far as good headphones go.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »

Dave Rat has a five part quest looking for the right headphones. Have a lookie here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0

Lee Richard

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »

Oh, and I was also wondering if any of you had a recommendation for the best kick drum mic?  ;)

Dave Rat did a great shootout looking for the best set of cans that went on for a year, with tons of testing and data, I suggest starting there. He ended up going with the Denon D2000's as the best pair.

Edit: Gah Dave beat me to it. The link I posted is the blog, which is a great read from day 1.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:13:46 PM by Lee Richard »

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »

Edit: Gah Dave beat me to it. The link I posted is the blog, which is a great read from day 1.
[/quote]

But I still have my Sennheisers!

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »

But I still have my Sennheisers!

I found the 280s to be bit exagerrated down low. I use HD-25s. Great external noise isolation and sound a bit flatter. Great when your doing monitors and you've been jammed behind a megalithic FOH stack.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

I found the 280s to be bit exagerrated down low. I use HD-25s. Great external noise isolation and sound a bit flatter. Great when your doing monitors and you've been jammed behind a megalithic FOH stack.

Everything is "exaggerated down low" when you're sitting behind the stacks.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »

The Senny 280s are better than the Sony 7506, but are of what I'd call average fidelity (and isolation if that matters).  The Shure 840s are better yet, but still scooped in the middle.  The ExtremeHeadphones EX29 has better fidelity and at least second best isolation, but are a little polite in the highs (which ain't bad given the quality of much of today's stuff).  If isolation is of no import, get some Grado open-airs, preferably 100 series or better.  The discontinued M-Audio IE10 buds are very good as well.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »

I second the HD-25s. Very confortable and great sound!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.