ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice : Small & Loud :p Powered Speakers  (Read 10970 times)

Christian Effendy

Need advice : Small & Loud :p Powered Speakers
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:03:51 AM »

Hi guys .....
I have a small rental company that desperately need some upgrade.
Main jobs will be small acoustic bands for small cafe, weddings, and worships. Sometimes DJ, but I already got the big speakers to do it :)

I need a small, light (preferably <30lbs), powered speakers that can go loud, and got the good resolution / details that I need for voices and acoustic instruments. The budget will be below USD 1000 each.

For now, the options I got here are RCF Art710A, RCF TT08A, and QSC K10.

Any advice?

THX

Additions :
I got a tempting offer, some ex-display Nexo PS speakers (the old  ver 1) that on sale here for about USD 1300/pr for PS8 and about USD 1900/pr for PS10. The problem is their controllers are at regular price about USD 1800 :(
Can I run PS8 / PS10 with regular DLMS? Any experinence on the freq settings? I got TC XO24 and DBX DR PA+
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:10:32 AM by Christian Effendy »

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
Re: Need advice : Small & Loud :p Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:50 AM »

The PS Series are designed to work with their dedicated controller, and although you can operate them with a standard DSP, it isnt recommended. 

There are lots of positive reviews of the QSC K series on the old lab which you can check out.

You should also take a look at the Mackie HD series.  They have recieved very favourable reviews on the old lab. Consensus is that they sound good, look nice, go loud and if you can put up with the mackie logo, are a pretty smart buy.  In the UK the HD1531s go for around £1100, so I imagine you could pick them up in the US for under your budget.

Adam
Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

James A. Griffin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »

I have 8 JBL PRX512m on the truck, mostly for stage monitors, but they are also great for mains on smaller gigs.    I've used for acoustic, jazz, worship, celtic & bluegrass.   Plenty of punchy volume and superb fidelity.   These are now replaced by the 612M... and it wouldn't surprise me if the newer ones are better     :)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »

Main jobs will be small acoustic bands for small cafe, weddings, and worships. Sometimes DJ, but I already got the big speakers to do it :)

I need a small, light (preferably <30lbs), powered speakers that can go loud, and got the good resolution / details that I need for voices and acoustic instruments. The budget will be below USD 1000 each.

For now, the options I got here are RCF Art710A, RCF TT08A, and QSC K10.
How large an audience or space for the wedding and worship applications?  Are you running with subs or are these expected to reproduce everything on their own potentially including keys, kick, bass, etc.?  A compact two-way speaker with an 8" or 10" woofer may be fine for vocals and acoustic guitar in smaller venues but it may be asking a bit much for any of the models listed to provide full-range, higher output sound for larger audeinces or venues.

I'm not sure how pricing there compares with here but in the US it is pretty easy to find QSC K12 or KW122, Mackie HD1521, Yamaha DSR115, JBL PRX635, etc. for around $1,000 or less.  A bit larger and heavier but also probably more flexible and capable.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »

I've been using the K12's for about a year now and have to strongly recommend them. Very solid piece of gear. The ART712A is also going for pretty cheap now and you might be able to get a pair of them for $1000. The KW122 would maybe sound a bit better but it is also heavier.

Depending on what you want to do though you may or may not want to consider a sub.

Jon Koziel

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »

Mackie HD series all way 50 lbs +.  I like the Mackie SRM350's, they weigh about 25lbs each.  In my opinion have great bass response for the size, 10" woofer.  SPL is about 120 db and push about 200 watts RMS.  Not as clear  as the HD series but if you wamt small and light powered speakers these for $500 ea or JBL Eon510, 10" woofer, 280w RMS, around the same SPL and I think under 20lbs...$600 ea.

Chad Costanzo

• Temecula, CA (San Diego, Riverside Area)
    • Pyxis Industries, Inc
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »

The Electro Voice ZXa Series is a great line of speakers and sounds excellent
Chad Costanzo
Pyxis Industries, inc
www.PyxisIndustries.com
888-PYXISAV
Murrieta, CA

Full Service Audio, Lighting, Rigging, & Video Production Services

Dealer: EV, KT, Elation, Shure, AT, Da-Lite, Furman, Tascam, Midas, Road Ready, American DJ, Global Truss, CBI, Furman, Roland RSS, and More

Mike Mottsey

• aikenproaudio
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »

Give the New EV LiveX ELX112P or the 115P powered boxes a look @--They blew everyone away who heard them @ Namm & are less $ --going to give the compitition a run for there money!

Chad Costanzo

• Temecula, CA (San Diego, Riverside Area)
    • Pyxis Industries, Inc
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

I have to Agree with Mike... The New EV line is great especially if you never plan on hanging them.  Both my Rep and I where blown away
Chad Costanzo
Pyxis Industries, inc
www.PyxisIndustries.com
888-PYXISAV
Murrieta, CA

Full Service Audio, Lighting, Rigging, & Video Production Services

Dealer: EV, KT, Elation, Shure, AT, Da-Lite, Furman, Tascam, Midas, Road Ready, American DJ, Global Truss, CBI, Furman, Roland RSS, and More

Jon R Smith

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »

Give the New EV LiveX ELX112P or the 115P powered boxes a look @--They blew everyone away who heard them @ Namm & are less $ --going to give the compitition a run for there money!

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner here! I am waiting for them to arrive at my local provider. Cost, output and sound are incredible. I just purchased PRX 600's and will be picking  up the EV's. Don't know yet whether the PRX will be up for sale soon.

Jon
Jon

If you haven't seen the future, your not driving fast enough.

mikelewis7

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 04:34:53 AM »

I have an out of topic question. Has anyone opened up the QSC Ks before? I couldn't find any manufacturers name on the drivers. I heard they should be Celestion Truvox Drivers but can anyone verify what's the exact drivers for K10 woofer and tweeter?

Meanwhile, I'm so excited because I'm getting my 2nd pair of K10s next week!

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »

The Electro Voice ZXa Series is a great line of speakers and sounds excellent

But unfortunately, the only choices you have so far are the ZXA1 and ZXA5.  I own some ZXA1s, and although they sound great, I couldn't honestly say that they play loud, at least not compared to the other contenders mentioned.  The ZXA5s, which I haven't heard but are reputed to be very good, are considerably more expensive than $500/box.

What E-V needs is a ZXA3, but so far that doesn't exist (and it won't be anywhere near $500 either).

The LiveX line looks interesting, although they are using smaller HF drivers that the ZX3 and 5, which concerns me a bit.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.