ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which multi source multi destination system?  (Read 6161 times)

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
Which multi source multi destination system?
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »

Client has three performance spaces which need to be able to be piped to each other, also wants playback from at least ipod/comp, cable tv audio, +1 spare.

Each space needs 4 zones, because they want it controllable via a "waiter proof" pad remote if possible (poweramp gain knobs NOT acceptable)

So that's at least 6 sources at each of 3 "mixers" each with at least 4 individually controllable outputs, with a pad remote at each space. Cable paths between 150-300 feet and open to cat5 or individual shielded pairs.

Anybody have recommendations for the control system?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:35:33 AM by Nils SK Erickson »
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: Which multi source multi destination system?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »

Client has three performance spaces which need to be able to be piped to each other, also wants playback from at least ipod/comp, cable tv audio, +1 spare.

Each space needs 4 zones, because they want it controllable via a "waiter proof" pad remote if possible (poweramp gain knobs acceptable)

So that's at least 6 sources at each of 3 "mixers" each with at least 4 individually controllable outputs, with a pad remote at each space. Cable paths between 150-300 feet and open to cat5 or individual shielded pairs.

Anybody have recommendations for the control system?

You could go with three seperate processors at each location, and send signal between the others via analog or digital.

You could have all your sources merge into a single DSP block in a rack via analog cable (300' is no big deal for a balanced input).

Or you could go straight into digital inputs via something like the Atterotech or Biamp Cobranet boxes, and feed that to a network hub.  Pick it up wherever you want.

If you've got the money...I'd go for the third.  It limits your DSP options, as you obviously now need a Cobranet-capable DSP, but you're probably going to want some kind of long-distance digital signal anyway.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:42:31 PM by Jonathan Kok »

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

The dbx zone pro 1260, perhaps a black face version is looking very attractive... anyone have experience?

If I stick one in each of the three spaces can I share the link bus between all 3 or would I need to run analogue cables from one of the spaces?

Is the link bus bi-directional?
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »

The dbx zone pro 1260, perhaps a black face version is looking very attractive... anyone have experience?

If I stick one in each of the three spaces can I share the link bus between all 3 or would I need to run analogue cables from one of the spaces?

Is the link bus bi-directional?
Have you asked dbx?  I don't think the Link bus is bi-directional, I believe it is intended to simply daisy chain the two balanced mic/line and a summed mono signal from the first four stereo unbalanced (RCA) inputs from one mixer to additional mixers, essentially to allow additional mixers to be used to get additional outputs with the same sources.  But there may be some 'undocumented' features or capabilities that dbx could identify.

You noted that they want cable TV audio, iP***/computer audio and a spare audio inputs  but did not actually say if these are common for all three spaces or independent for each space.  Would any of them potentially be common or at least able to be centralized in one location?

Why would you need four zones if you have the local space plus two other spaces, isn't that three?  In fact, why not just one zone?  Seriously, are you trying to distribute the performance audio or all audio from each space?  The approach you seem to be considering would be to distribute the overall mix for each space to the other spaces, not just the performance audio.  Is that what is desired or is it intent to have independent cable TV audio, iP***/computer audio and a spare audio input for each room with only the performance audio shared?  Could it be as simple as DAing the performance audio in each room so that it can feed three simple room mixers?

Along the same lines, are you sure you would want waiters having local control of not only their local zone but also the sends to the other spaces?  That would mean having 'stacked' level controls, someone controlling the level being sent and someone else controlling the level at the input.  It sounds like not having local control of anything but the local sources and local output might make more sense.

Maybe you need to clarify, or at least clarify to us, what you are really trying to do before trying to determine the best hardware approach.

Karl Maciag

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »

Take a look at the Ashly PEMA processors.  They have 8 inputs, which can be mic, or summed stereo inputs such as the ipod,  and have the option for Cobranet connectivity,  so you can send feeds to other zones over Cobranet.   They have a few different type of controllers that are configurable, and easy to operate.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »

A rane rpm88 will do what you ask several manufacturers have a 8 in 8 out matrix mixer. With the rpm you can even add a ducking comp on the announce mic if you need. You can put controllers any where you want and even put a master in to switch all zones at once. Allen and Heath has xone stuff that is similar. Ev net max. There are many options.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:31 AM »

I still think it is important to understand that actual requirements before looking at specific sources and specifically to distinguish whether it is a) all audio from a room or only the 'performance' audio from a room that is to be distributed and b) whether any of the other sources are shared or if they are all independent to each room.  It sounds like it could involve no mixing or complex routing with each space simply selecting the local source from among three shared performance audio sources and three independent local music sources.

I guess another potential factor could be whether any of the control might be shared.  For example, when a space has a performance might you want someone in that space to be able to set that as the source in the just the local room or possibly select it for all three rooms?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.