ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flooded basement  (Read 5053 times)

alfredo cannon

flooded basement
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »

Hi, guys. Seattle rainstorm flooded my basement. Quick question for ya. I had some tote bags with xlr mic cables, speakon speaker cables, and some beta 57's that all got soaked. Waiting to see if Allstate insurance covers the damage. My question is: If I dry these cables and mics out, will they likely be fine? Or maybe I shouldn't rely on them and consider them a loss? Just wonderin. Al

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: flooded basement
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:12:14 AM »

Hi, guys. Seattle rainstorm flooded my basement. Quick question for ya. I had some tote bags with xlr mic cables, speakon speaker cables, and some beta 57's that all got soaked. Waiting to see if Allstate insurance covers the damage. My question is: If I dry these cables and mics out, will they likely be fine? Or maybe I shouldn't rely on them and consider them a loss? Just wonderin. Al

Cables will eventually dry out.  Treat the connectors for corrosion.  Microphones will probably be a total loss.  Shure has a repair/replace program, Beta57A is $58 plus tax/shipping.

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/primary_content/@americas/documents/webcontent/pdf_en_us_service_fees.pdf

Floods suck.  Hope things improve for you.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:29:09 AM »

Cables will eventually dry out.  Treat the connectors for corrosion.  Microphones will probably be a total loss.  Shure has a repair/replace program, Beta57A is $58 plus tax/shipping.

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/primary_content/@americas/documents/webcontent/pdf_en_us_service_fees.pdf

Tim Mc

Be sure to use a corrosion treatment spray that displaces water. Start by peeling the connector hoods back, then spray the shit out of them. After your done hang them outside in the sun to dry.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:42:12 AM »

Microphones will probably be a total loss.  Shure has a repair/replace program, Beta57A is $58 plus tax/shipping.
I vaguely recall Shure having an ad years ago about mics surviving after a flood and being fine after drying out.

One factor may be how clean the water was, I can see silt and other particulates being more of an issue once everything dries.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »

I vaguely recall Shure having an ad years ago about mics surviving after a flood and being fine after drying out.

One factor may be how clean the water was, I can see silt and other particulates being more of an issue once everything dries.
I had a couple of SM57's fall into a bar sink full of water and they were in there maybe an hour or so before I found them.

After drying out they worked for many years later.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tracy Garner

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »

If there is an electronics repair facility in your area, a "sonic sink" may be used to clean any microphones, DI boxes, etc to rid the devices of film/dirt. We used one all the time to clean small boards used in credit card machines (think of the grease in restaurants).

Alan Roberts

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »

Tim Mc

Be sure to use a corrosion treatment spray that displaces water. Start by peeling the connector hoods back, then spray the shit out of them. After your done hang them outside in the sun to dry.

Sun? In Seattle? Not this spring.

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »

Tim Mc

Sun? In Seattle? Not this spring.

The sun has been making its presence known here sporadically in the last few weeks. Yesterday was near perfect. But yeah in general life in the northwest is 10 months of rain and a lovely July/August.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.