ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha PM1D questions  (Read 18998 times)

Craig Montgomery

Re: Yamaha PM1D questions
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »

They would bother because the reason for the mode where you emulate the CS1 with a computer and DM series mixer was to replace the CS1 with a smaller surface, not to create a second control surface.

It has been a while since I tried to make changes on a PM1D from my computer while the operator was mixing the show, but my recollection is that is screwed him up a lot.

Mac

I run Manager simultaneously with the surface every day.  it's completely independent.  The FOH operator doesn't even see what the remote operator is doing, unless he happens to be looking at the same parameter.  The only way you could mess him up would be to change a shared head amp.

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:23 PM »

I should explain more-  what we do here is very similar to what the Kristian is proposing, with a Tablet PC instead of a DM2000.

All inputs are double-patched, either to the second layer or just another bank, depending on the amount.  If there's a BE, I can sit stageside with the Tablet and run monitors.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

I should explain more-  what we do here is very similar to what the Kristian is proposing, with a Tablet PC instead of a DM2000.

All inputs are double-patched, either to the second layer or just another bank, depending on the amount.  If there's a BE, I can sit stageside with the Tablet and run monitors.

Wow, if I can make this work like I hope to be able to this certainly is good news:  Not only does it feel like my PM1D purchase includes a "free" hum-free monitor-split and a monitor console - on gigs like this I'll be able to run the DM 2000 up front with the convenience of only a thin signal cable+power connecting it to stage as well as having the reassurance that I'll have a decent console sitting there as backup should the PM1D fail in a catastrofical fashion.  Exciting times - in a good way :).

Thanks to Mac, Craig, et al for great advice!

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

The analog input frames take eight 4ch input cards which include remote controlled mic pres.

Mac

Hello again and thanks for your help earlier!

The components for my PM1D system are arriving and I'm casing and setting everything up.

The system has 4 input "cages".  3 of them are filled with the older style pres with an A and a B connector for each channel.  The last "cage" has a mix of 4 channel line cards and 4 channel preamp cards. 

The manual specifically states to leave configuring the cards to a Yamaha repair shop.  Any idea why?  It's not like one needs a Yamaha tech to rearrange the YGDAI slot cards on my other Yamaha consoles.

Can I put a mix of 2 channel cards and 4 channel cards in the same "cage"?  This would help me in arranging my racks as efficiently as possible.

Am I correct in saying that whatever config I choose now will "haunt me" for ever since all the scenes will be written with gain settings for the exact preamp config the system had at the time of storing?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

Can I put a mix of 2 channel cards and 4 channel cards in the same "cage"?  This would help me in arranging my racks as efficiently as possible.

Yes, you can put the input cards where ever you want them. This will effect the configuration of the console, you will need to either read the config from the console before programming offline, or select each frame and set the correct cards in the editor software.

Am I correct in saying that whatever config I choose now will "haunt me" for ever since all the scenes will be written with gain settings for the exact preamp config the system had at the time of storing?

Yes, any scenes will be written for that configuration only. If you change your mind later you will need to re-write any show files you reuse. This is true with the whole console configuration. You need to specify what kind of input frames (AI8 or DIO) go on which of the 10 32ch input connections to the DSP, and what kind of cards are in each of the slots in those frames. The same applies to the output side. You can have either an AO8 or DIO on any of the 6 32ch output connections of the DSP. A fully loaded DIO is 64 channels and requires a cable to the DSP for each of the 32ch halves.

Once you know what the config is you can program shows in the editor software, but any changes in the config will mean you need to reprogram the console.

Mac

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »

Yes, you can put the input cards where ever you want them. This will effect the configuration of the console, you will need to either read the config from the console before programming offline, or select each frame and set the correct cards in the editor software.

Yes, any scenes will be written for that configuration only. If you change your mind later you will need to re-write any show files you reuse. This is true with the whole console configuration. You need to specify what kind of input frames (AI8 or DIO) go on which of the 10 32ch input connections to the DSP, and what kind of cards are in each of the slots in those frames. The same applies to the output side. You can have either an AO8 or DIO on any of the 6 32ch output connections of the DSP. A fully loaded DIO is 64 channels and requires a cable to the DSP for each of the 32ch halves.

Once you know what the config is you can program shows in the editor software, but any changes in the config will mean you need to reprogram the console.

Mac

Wow, that was fast!  What time is it over on your side, anyway?

Thanks again for your answers. 

Do you happen to know how involved it is to phsically rearrange the cards?  The warning in the manual has me a little apprehensive as it was quite stern.  I know my way around electronics, but I guess there could be some real traps to walk into when opening the "cage".

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »

Do you happen to know how involved it is to phsically rearrange the cards?  The warning in the manual has me a little apprehensive as it was quite stern.  I know my way around electronics, but I guess there could be some real traps to walk into when opening the "cage".

Just make sure the console is not powered up. There is no issue with moving cards around in the frames, I do it all the time.

Mac

PS. as I write this it is 4:50pm here in NY

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.