ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL EON 510  (Read 11320 times)

Chase Livingston

JBL EON 510
« on: May 16, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »

I'm looking a building a new sound system for our youth band, which currently meets in our fellowship hall. I'm looking at a pair of the EON 510s, probably with a matching EON sub. What do you guys think about the 510s, if you've used them?
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

Rob Truesdell

Re: JBL EON 510
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »

Are you at your limit with your budget? If not I would tell you to spend a few extra $ for something like EV's new powered speakers that really are not much more than the Eons. for a few more dollars QSC K10's or K12's over KW181 subs and in JBL's line up, PRX612 over PRX618XLF subs.

Chase Livingston

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Honestly not sure what my budget is. :) I'm just trying to get some different opinions and find a few different options to present. Thanks for your input!
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »

I'm looking a building a new sound system for our youth band, which currently meets in our fellowship hall. I'm looking at a pair of the EON 510s, probably with a matching EON sub. What do you guys think about the 510s, if you've used them?
What is the space like?  What instruments do you run through the system, what kind of music do you play, how loud do you want to get, etc.?  What would the rest of the system be?  What are your expectations for the system and what led you to specifically consider the EON 510s?  It would really help to have some basis for any suggestions, without that or any idea of the budget then the responses could be all over the place and may have little relevance to your application.

Chase Livingston

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »

What is the space like?  What instruments do you run through the system, what kind of music do you play, how loud do you want to get, etc.?  What would the rest of the system be?  What are your expectations for the system and what led you to specifically consider the EON 510s?  It would really help to have some basis for any suggestions, without that or any idea of the budget then the responses could be all over the place and may have little relevance to your application.
It's a rectangular room with a carpeted floor and tiled ceiling, normally with chairs or tables setup in it. The music played through the system would normally be contemporary praise music with a drumset, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, and a few vocals. It would need to be between 90-100 dB. I saw this setup offered, http://bit.ly/jxn7P9 so that's what got me considering them, since it looks like a decent deal. I don't want to spend more than about $6,000 if I can help it.
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »

What part of the country are you in? Perhaps you may be in someones area here on the boards that can help you out.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:53:47 AM »

It's a rectangular room with a carpeted floor and tiled ceiling, normally with chairs or tables setup in it. The music played through the system would normally be contemporary praise music with a drumset, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, and a few vocals. It would need to be between 90-100 dB.
I wasn't clear, but an important factor could be the size of the rectangular room or at least of the listener area.  What works for a 20'x25' room with a 10' ceiling may not work for a 50'x100' room with a 25' ceiling.

The music played through the system would normally be contemporary praise music with a drumset, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, and a few vocals.
Do you plan to mic the drums and bass and run them through the system or do you see them being loud enough for the space without being in the mix?  Running bass and kick through teh system and possibly putting mics on the entire drum kit could affect the system significantly, the first in the low frequency response needed and the second in the number of mixer inputs needed.

I saw this setup offered, http://bit.ly/jxn7P9 so that's what got me considering them, since it looks like a decent deal. I don't want to spend more than about $6,000 if I can help it.
Is that $6,000 for the speakers and processor or $6,000 total for the entire new sound system?  If the latter, do you have any existing equipment or are you starting from scratch?

Chase Livingston

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:49:09 PM »

Rob, I'm in Greenville, SC.

The room is about 40'x20', with probably a 12'-15' ceiling. The bass and kick would most likely be miked, but the rest of the kit normally isn't. I'm looking at an entire sound system, i.e. speakers, mixer, possibly some wireless, etc... After talking with some of my superiors, we may be able to increase the budget a bit, but the more bang for our buck, the better.
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »

The Eon's are 100 degree dispersion speakers - way to wide for a rectangular room like this unless you don't mind a lot of sound splashing off walls OR the chance for feedback with the band or both. Speaking of the band, will they have any monitors (speakers or in-ears)?

I agree with an earlier poster - are there any sound design consultants in the area that can visit (and hear the room) and design a system (including specing out all the correct cabling) that meets the requirements and then Chase could order a decent system that is designed for for what he needs and buy the appropriate gear "once". Many of us will charge an hourly rate, that given a few hours, can save $ for most churches that try to do it on there own....

Just a thought....

Rob, I'm in Greenville, SC.

The room is about 40'x20', with probably a 12'-15' ceiling. The bass and kick would most likely be miked, but the rest of the kit normally isn't. I'm looking at an entire sound system, i.e. speakers, mixer, possibly some wireless, etc... After talking with some of my superiors, we may be able to increase the budget a bit, but the more bang for our buck, the better.

Chase Livingston

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »

Monitors will most likely be speakers, some type of wedges.
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »

The room is about 40'x20', with probably a 12'-15' ceiling. The bass and kick would most likely be miked, but the rest of the kit normally isn't.
If you're running bass and kick through the system then you probably want subs.

You didn't mention whether you actually run the bass direct but the fact that you are apparently miking it for a 40'x20' room suggests that you may be looking for some serious output for that size space and/or dealing with pretty high stage levels.

I'm looking at an entire sound system, i.e. speakers, mixer, possibly some wireless, etc... After talking with some of my superiors, we may be able to increase the budget a bit, but the more bang for our buck, the better.
'Bang for the buck' can be an interesting concept as what is perceived as 'bang' can differ.  Some will focus on the bells and whistles possibly at the expense of longevity and reliability, others will do the opposite and prefer to keep it simple but reliable.  Some go quantity over quality, others can do without some things initially in order to have a better foundation to work from.  Some may have an extensive list of items or functionality that are 'must haves' and thus need to trade off quality to stay within budget, others may have a limited number of fixed requirements and a lot more flexibility in what is included or the related quality and costs.

Probably one of the first things to do is to consider all the ancillary items involved in a complete system.  Things like DI boxes, cables and adapters, mic and speaker stands, power cords, speaker covers, a rack for the mic receivers and other gear, a stand or rack for the mixer, cases or something to store and transport the mics and cables and so on.  You'd likely also want some processing or at least EQ for the monitors and mains.  These are not necessarily big dollar items individually but they can add up.  You might want to look at the "Quick & Dirty Bar Rig" summary here, http://www.bennettprescott.com/.  There are items listed in that summary where you would probably change the models and/or quantities or perhaps not even need and other items, such as wireless mics, that you would have to add, but it may provide some basis for putting together a comprehensive system package.  What you might find is that with a limited budget accounting for all the little things that are necessary may significantly impact the money you have for the major items.

Probably one other detail to verify is whether this is a portable or installed system.  When you initially said this was a "new sound system for our youth band, which currently meets in our fellowship hall", I assumed it to be a portable system that you would potentially use elsewhere as well, but if it is instaed an installed system for the Fellowship Hall then that could have its own considerations to address.

Chase Livingston

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »

Thanks Brad, we are running the kick and bass through the system, and currently get by alright with a single powered sub. This will be a portable system. And when I say bang for the buck, I'm looking for something with decently high SPL output, say 90-95 dB, but I'm not looking for stellar sound quality. Anything newer than what we have will be an improvement, which is why I started out looking at the JBLs, since they seemed to be priced relatively cheap.
Chase
@ChaseLivingston

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »

well, I haven't tried the 510's, but I received a pair of 515XT's today, and they are plenty loud with good bass. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with them. I'm assuming the 510's + plus sub will also sound pretty good. I can tell you that these are WAY better than the previous generation EON's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.