ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo PS15  (Read 5095 times)

Dave Walker

Nexo PS15
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »

Hi all.
I set my PA up at the gig last night, no sound at all from one of the PS15's. I stripped the cab down today, the 15" has no cone movement at all with no reading on a multimeter. The Hf unit has a burnt voicecoil. The Hf protection fuse is intact, as is the 5 amp fuse on the crossover network, although the 10 amp fuse has blown presumably because the 15" has gone open circuit.
  My question is, if I have a recone done on the 15" and replace diaphragm in the Hf unit (along with any blown fuses) is it safe to presume the internal crossover is undamaged, or would it be best to send the whole Box to a Nexo dealer?
Thanks for your time, Dave

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Nexo PS15
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »

Hi all.
I set my PA up at the gig last night, no sound at all from one of the PS15's. I stripped the cab down today, the 15" has no cone movement at all with no reading on a multimeter. The Hf unit has a burnt voicecoil. The Hf protection fuse is intact, as is the 5 amp fuse on the crossover network, although the 10 amp fuse has blown presumably because the 15" has gone open circuit.
  My question is, if I have a recone done on the 15" and replace diaphragm in the Hf unit (along with any blown fuses) is it safe to presume the internal crossover is undamaged, or would it be best to send the whole Box to a Nexo dealer?
I would look at the crossover and see if you see any physical damage-such as discolored circuit board-discolored parts (resistors/coils)-cracked resistors-capacitors that have "expanded" and have either "popped off their coating (electrolytic) or have "bubbled" skins, melted plastic bobbins on coils etc.

If you see any of that-I would suggest you take it to somebody who knows how to properly test the crossover.

Of course you could also have damage that is not obvious to the naked eye.  If it doesn't sound "right", then something else could be wrong-such as a changed value-a shorted cap etc.  Not all failures are obvious.

Since the woofer and the HF are gone-that is pretty obvious that something "big" hit the cabinet.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:51 AM »

Hi all.

As per the PS15 user manual:

"The function of these fuses is to protect the passive crossover against overheating if a speaker component is accidentally disconnected or fails open circuit."

This means that it is less likely that the crossover will be damaged with the protection provided by these fuses, and it that the reason the other fuse is blown is because your LF driver has gone open circuit.

The crossovers are only attached by a connector so you could try the crossover with another PS15 cabinet. So long as you dont go blasting things I can see any immediate danger to the good box if there is an issue.

Be sure to check your sense lines are working correctly and that your gain and power settings are correct in your processor (if using NX241/2). It takes quite a bit to fry these with the protection working correctly in the processing.

Gareth

Dave Walker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, you have been most helpful.

This is where I am at now.

I have four Ps15's. Two of them had a blown 5 amp fuse on the crossover, on replacing the fuses the cabinets seem to function normally. The third cabinet had no faults at all and funtions normally. The fourth cabinet is the subject of this thread, burnt H/F diaphragm, burnt voicecoil on the 15" and blown 10 amp fuse on the crossover. The pair of Ls 1200 subs I have appear to be working fine.
By the way, the speakers became damaged after a Mackie 3232 Digital snake decided to go wrong in the middle of a gig, causing the loudest bump you ever heard in your life (I'm driving the rig with two Camco V6 amps) needless to say the Ds3232 is now on the scrapheap in my workshop.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.