ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: inears limiter affects inear mix  (Read 2679 times)

David Parker

inears limiter affects inear mix
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »

One of my bands just started using inear monitors, and it's a learning curve for them, and they are trying. Last gig, they were complaining that their mix sounded great until the lead singer started singing, then all they could hear was her. I immediately thought of limiters, and how that when the loudest source crosses the threshold, it turns everything down. I turned her down in all of their mixes, and it fixed the problem. I post this because others might encounter the same problem. Makes me realize how important the internal limters are in inears. Otherwise  their mixes would have been at harmfully loud levels. Same thing happens with wedges. The band keeps asking for more of this or that, and what really needs to happen is to turn something down, so the overall mix keeps getting louder and louder. The band was totally pleased with the sound onstage after fixing the inear problem. That's what makes my day, a happy band! And of course getting paid!

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: inears limiter affects inear mix
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:06:47 PM »

Makes me realize how important the internal limters are in inears.

It makes me think of how important a good mix is with IEMs, and how important it is for each singer to have his/her own mix. Singers need to hear their own voice higher than you would think because it has to overcome bone conduction.

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »

Makes me realize how important the internal limters are in inears.

It makes me think of how important a good mix is with IEMs, and how important it is for each singer to have his/her own mix. Singers need to hear their own voice higher than you would think because it has to overcome bone conduction.
each of the five in the band had their own mix. They did not realize that the lead singers voice was too hot in the other's mixes, which was causing the problem.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »

each of the five in the band had their own mix. They did not realize that the lead singers voice was too hot in the other's mixes, which was causing the problem.

Right, you know what you're doing. I've been hanging around too many newbies lately. The singer probably didn't give it her real concert volume at soundcheck and then belted it out on the first song.

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »

Right, you know what you're doing. I've been hanging around too many newbies lately. The singer probably didn't give it her real concert volume at soundcheck and then belted it out on the first song.
Actually what happened, I recalled the scene I used the last time with that band. They didn't realize that the problem was that her vocals were too hot in their mix. They're learning what to expect from inears. I probably should have put on my headphones and cued the mixes, then I probably would have recognized the problem earlier.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.