Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Speaker Placement Help

(1/4) > >>

Eddie Czubinski:
Hi guys!! I am in need of some help with speaker placement for a series of small one act plays that my school performs. We have the audience sit on stage so they are kind of in the action and I'm not really sure how to place the speakers. I have done it a few different ways in past years but never liked the sound. I have attached some pictures to show you how I have them placed but their is probably a better way. I have 4 speakers they are all Peaveys 2 of them are Impulse 200's and I'm not sure what the other 2 are. I do not have any speaker stands so they have to set on the floor. Let me know what you think.

The black is the acting area and the red is where the audience will be. This is just a rough sketch.

Thanks

Blake Ross:
Hi, it would be helpful to know what the other speakers are, what size the stage is as well as the black and red areas, what mics you are using, what processing,  if there is music playback and singing or only spoken word, how many people have mics on stage at one time, are the audience seated in chairs or on the floor, how large is the audience and any other relevant information you can provide. The simplest solution, if this is an intimate audience, is to go without sound reinforcement and get your performers to speak up. Your current speaker deployment will have coverage problems and GBF issues as the speakers are aimed right at the performers (and their mics), and only certain parts of the audience, so some people will have too much SPL and others not enough.
I'm sure there are people in the forum with a lot more experience than me that will chime in if you give them some more information to work with.

Brad Weber:
What is the purpose of the speakers, do the actors have microphones or are the speakers purely for EFX and music playback?  Is the localization of the sound or where it appears to come from important to getting the desired perception for the audience?  Is the audience, like the speakers, sitting on the floor or do they get something to sit on?

Eddie Czubinski:

--- Quote from: Brad Weber on January 16, 2011, 06:18:10 PM ---What is the purpose of the speakers, do the actors have microphones or are the speakers purely for EFX and music playback?  Is the localization of the sound or where it appears to come from important to getting the desired perception for the audience?  Is the audience, like the speakers, sitting on the floor or do they get something to sit on?

--- End quote ---

The speakers are purely for FX and music and a few voiceovers. The actors will NOT have mics. The audience will be sitting in chairs. The audience does not need to have stereo imaging or anything it just needs to be covered so everyone can hear. Their is no eq on the speakers. They are being powered by a Peavey CS-800x. Everything is being run through a Yamaha mixer.

I think the other speakers are Peavey SP-2 the ones from the 70s or 80s NOT the current production ones.

I have attached a picture to give you a better idea of the size.

Gene Hardage:
Do you have enough speaker wires to separate the 4 speakers and put them more or less in all 4 corners facing in?   Maybe even put a shim under them to have them tilt upward a bit.  If your soundtrack is OK as mono then try balancing the volume of each pair by putting 2 of the same kind on each half of the power amp.  Use the board to balance the the volume of each pair  - not the power amp knobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version