ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive XO power question  (Read 1888 times)

Poopedi Kwena

Passive XO power question
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »

Hi guys once again

I have a 2 X 15" speaker that f's up the tweeter every gig n now I bliv the XO is f'd up. I need 2 buy a replacement XO but I'm worried if it wudnt pass 2much power 2 the tweeter or itself burns out cos the amp is givin it 2 much. Wat should I look for?
My speaker is rates 450W program and 8ohm

As always, I come here for consultation before I make any decisions.

Much appreciated

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Passive XO power question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

Hi guys once again

I have a 2 X 15" speaker that f's up the tweeter every gig n now I bliv the XO is f'd up. I need 2 buy a replacement XO but I'm worried if it wudnt pass 2much power 2 the tweeter or itself burns out cos the amp is givin it 2 much. Wat should I look for?

Much appreciated

It might help if you supplied a little more detail, however, using the detail provided I'll have to assume your running a single 15" box with a compression driver and a passive crossover with no subs. This being the most basic of all configurations, and if you have in fact taken out the crossover, then the only reason for it's demise would be either your cabinets are low cost MI that are unable to handle the power they have been rated for, or you have exceeded the manufacturers rated specs either by heavy clipping or just too much power.

Clipping is the #1 reason for driver failure and is particularly bad for compression drivers. Another quick way the destroy a cheap compression driver is to turn of system components BEFORE you have turned off the amplifiers. Follow the golden rule, amps on last, amps off first. If you hear a loud snap when you turn off the board, you're done, just buy a diaphragm and get ready to replace it.

Another way to destroy compression drivers is to feed them sustained feedback. Low cost drivers don't handle feedback all that well and will fail.

Finally, buying a new or replacement crossover may be the cure if the driver is good but not working. However, buying an upgraded crossover from a third party may cause more damage to your speakers. Crossovers are designed for the speakers in the cabinet, and unless you can be sure you've purchased a crossover that works properly with those speakers you're only throwing good money after bad.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

Hi guys once again

Much appreciated
Photos of the crossover and the windings on the tweeter would be the first thing to provide.

Without seeing those-there is no way to go on anything you have said.

Is this a commercial loudspeaker or a home made one?  What is the model number?

Are the drivers in the cabinet the ones the crossover was designed for or have they been changed?

Do you have any photos or files of your processor/eq settings?

It could be that you are simply asking to much out of the tweeter/horn.  or not.

More information is needed before speculation gets out of hand.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.