ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 walk-in  (Read 5354 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
LS9 walk-in
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:11:33 AM »

As per my other thread I have a walk-in tomorrow where a LS9 is supplied.  I've only used one once but being so long ago now, It may as well be the first time. I am unsure as to weather there will be a system tech.

It is an 8 piece band, including G/piano and a horn section. Crooner/swing style. Monitors from FOH with 7 mixes. While the stage plot doesn't show it, I've been told there will also be side fill. Yikes. This would be a busy monitor gig with a dedicated monitor system!

I've watched the LS9 tutorial on the Yamaha website, so at least I've got some idea of where to find things. My question is in relation to effecient operation. How do most people operate monitors from the LS9? Replica of input list on a seperate layer or via the encoders?

Are mix buses pre or post fader by default? Pre or post insert?

I am going to keep this increadably simple. Hopefully the musos have thier sound sorted and I wont have to insert anything anywhere... I'm not familiar with the room so I don't know if any verb will be required...

If I need to use it could someone please reccomend library preset for verbs for snare, toms & vox for this style of music?

There are a thousand other things I need to know.... I'll sit down tonight and start to go through the input list...

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
Re: LS9 walk-in
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:46:54 AM »

As per my other thread I have a walk-in tomorrow where a LS9 is supplied.  I've only used one once but being so long ago now, It may as well be the first time. I am unsure as to weather there will be a system tech.

It is an 8 piece band, including G/piano and a horn section. Crooner/swing style. Monitors from FOH with 7 mixes. While the stage plot doesn't show it, I've been told there will also be side fill. Yikes. This would be a busy monitor gig with a dedicated monitor system!

I've watched the LS9 tutorial on the Yamaha website, so at least I've got some idea of where to find things. My question is in relation to effecient operation. How do most people operate monitors from the LS9? Replica of input list on a seperate layer or via the encoders?

Are mix buses pre or post fader by default? Pre or post insert?

I am going to keep this increadably simple. Hopefully the musos have thier sound sorted and I wont have to insert anything anywhere... I'm not familiar with the room so I don't know if any verb will be required...

If I need to use it could someone please reccomend library preset for verbs for snare, toms & vox for this style of music?

There are a thousand other things I need to know.... I'll sit down tonight and start to go through the input list...

For pre EQ foldback sends you have to duplicate the channels to the second layer, then you can dedicate the channels to monitors and EQing to suit or no EQ as required.

Get your input list straight up, use multiple layers of console tape to make sure you have all your layers okay.

Name and label your channels on the console. Always helps remind you whats selected.

I like the Rev X FX, right at the end. Hall for Vox, Plate for Snare. Then the Echo patch for some nice stereo delay.

Spend your inital time getting the routing correct. Know your sends for foldback and such, use sends on faders. Knowing your routing and such will increase your efficency a lot. Once you have your Routing set, get your line level and vocal channels up, then slowly bring in instruments which don't require amplification as much, this will decrease the sudden scramble at the start of the gig where you can easily panic and lose where you are up to.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:56:07 AM »

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:34:06 AM by luis Markson »

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:34:30 AM »

I'm trying to download the manual, but unfortunately  have the worlds slowest internet connection. I may as well ask the question while I'm waiting:

By sends on fader, does that mean that each fader acts as the "aux pot" for each respective channel, for a selected send or does each fader represent an aux master?

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »

Here's another one:

The PA is a JBL Vertec LCR system. L & R are 4 x 928 a side and C is 4 x 932 with 2 xA SB6128.

As the subs have been specified as a component of C what is the most likely routing configuration for the system? I have not mixed on a LCR rig before...

When channel pans are centred does this route the channel to C or would C be on a separate mono mix bus?

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »

By sends on fader, does that mean that each fader acts as the "aux pot" for each respective channel, for a selected send or does each fader represent an aux master?

There are the 16 buttons to the left of the screen that select the aux. 
When you double push one of those buttons, the board will go into "sends on faders" and the faders become the send for that aux. 

Justin Myers

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »

Hello

Quite a job on your hands.

Some of the things I do on the LS9 for my own personal preference.

1)  I set the Mix sends to pre EQ for foldback. No need to create second layer to do this. It is under SET UP>MIX. I dont want my Channel eq to be changing my monitors once I've tuned them. Check all the channels have the foldback sends set to Pre as well. These are next to the Send knobs on the screen. You will have to use the cursor buttons. I have never tried setting up a second layer of channels with the same inputs for just monitor purposes. Good idea but I try to keep it simple. When I gain more experience myself I may try it
2) There is a function called "Page Bookmark" for the "user defined keys". It alows you to short-cut any page in the desk to any button. The "user defined keys"  set up is under SET UP>PREFERENCES. I set my Graphic EQs to a button by using the Page Bookmark function. I set The Graphic for Mix 1 on button 1, Graphic for Mix 2 on button 2 and so on. Allows for quicker access, less thinking. I actually use an outboard FOH eq sometimes when I have a lot of mix send Graphic eqs.

3) If the channel count is low enough, I set up a custom layer with my Aux send masters on the top layer. Doesn't sound like you will have this option. Keep in mind when you double press on one of the 16 Mix buttons to get Sends on Fader, the master fader becomes that mixes's master. You can then Cue it to hear that foldback mix or to look for feedback.

Hope this helps.

Justin

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »

I'm sure it's too late now, but: http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/YamahaLS9ConsoleFile.htm  Scroll down to the description of Scene 290.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.