Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

P.A. horn upgrade

(1/2) > >>

Mark Richardson:
Hi, my gig is solo piano[keyboard]/vocals and I intend upgrading my horns to jbl 2447 from the 2416 entry levels I have now. I did an ab test a couple of years ago [forgotten the model] and the 2inch jbl horn made mine sound like they were under water. I actually thought that my horn had blown! The difference was amazing. My question is, which model is considered the nicest, with which flare. I know the basic design is decades old and audiophile dudes get into a certain model as well. Any clues? My bottom end is 15 inch 2226 and i remember a beautiful marriage it was. Any thoughts much appreciated, cheers, Richo   " The Richo Show"

Jeff Bankston:
if you are into using a different brand the DDS horn with a Beyma titanium driver is the ultimate smooth detailed combo.

Mark Richardson:
No Beyma model in particular? Looks nice gear, flairs are beautiful! Never heard of this stuff before but always keen to check gear out, we don't get a lot of range down here but the internet solves that. thanks for the reply.

Jay Barracato:

--- Quote from: Mark Richardson on May 13, 2011, 03:01:23 AM ---Hi, my gig is solo piano[keyboard]/vocals and I intend upgrading my horns to jbl 2447 from the 2416 entry levels I have now. I did an ab test a couple of years ago [forgotten the model] and the 2inch jbl horn made mine sound like they were under water. I actually thought that my horn had blown! The difference was amazing. My question is, which model is considered the nicest, with which flare. I know the basic design is decades old and audiophile dudes get into a certain model as well. Any clues? My bottom end is 15 inch 2226 and i remember a beautiful marriage it was. Any thoughts much appreciated, cheers, Richo   " The Richo Show"

--- End quote ---

Telling us about the drivers with no information about the box they are in is meaningless. There is no way you can listen to a driver. You listen to a driver, box, crossover SYSTEM interacting with a listening space.

And I still don't understand why people think they can outguess the engineers that designed the SYSTEM in the first place, or that the information is going to be available for free on the internet.

Before I would drop $800 per driver on something that may or may not work in the box and is not a direct replacement, I would be looking at a new or lightly used system that meets my need.

Brad Weber:
+1 to Jay's comments and especially since all that is know is that it is a solo piano/keyboard application, no idea of the venues, type of music or any expectations for the system.

It would be interesting to know how you performed the A/B test.  As Jay noted, what you hear is a result of the entire system and the environment and if you want to compare specific elements you have to eliminate, or at least control, the other variables.  I remember years ago when separate horns and drivers were the standard for large scale systems that one manufacturer would issue comparisons of their drivers versus the competition to show how their compression drivers were superior.  However, while the testing for the comparisons was all very well done, it was performed with all the drivers mounted on their horns, using adapters for some drivers.  Big surprise that their drivers faired better than the others when they were being used with the horns for which they were specifically intended to be paired.  Anyways, if you didn't control the other variables then who knows what actually caused the differences you heard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version