ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: stepping up to a new level  (Read 5053 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
stepping up to a new level
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:13 pm »

I've been asked to mix a gig next week that is well beyound my previous experience. Luckily it's a walk in, so at least the physical pressure is off.

My FOH experience is relatively limited. At one point I was doing maybe 1 FOH gig a month for a cover band, but now my FOH gigs have been even more sparatic and ridiculously ecelectic - metal, orchestral, acoustic and so on.

The gig I've been asked to do is for a well respected and highly experienced artist, known nation wide. I believe the only reason I've been asked is because they can't find anyone else. The status of the artist is no higher that acts I've worked for during my time as a monitor op, but well beyond my FOH experience.

The style of music is rat pack style crooning, something I've not mixed before nor really ever listened too.

I've yet to get info on the rig so I'm in the dark with that too.

So I'm at two minds about this. On one hand I'm concerned that I wont be able to meet the standard required, and may damage my reputation, on the other hand I''m excited at the prospect of a chalange. I know I underestimate my abilities at times and have manage to rise to meet challanges in the past.

My approach would be to keep things really simple, minimal eq, dynamic processing and fx and just to concentrate on keeping vocals clean and clear.

I'm really hoping to make my next carrer move a return to audio, and need to get started somehow.

What have others done in this situation?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: stepping up to a new level
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:34 pm »

The style of music is rat pack style crooning......

My approach would be to keep things really simple, minimal eq, dynamic processing and fx and just to concentrate on keeping vocals clean and clear.

You've boiled it down to the essentials.  Given the style IME the will want zero reverb and little or no compression.  Crooners usually work the mic, holding it farther away when belting it out, etc.

If they want something, they'll ask for it.  If they ask for it, give it to them.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:22:49 pm »

FWIW:
Keep everything simple (at first).  It will be important to "feel" the band and how they play.  After a couple, or so, songs, you should have a pretty good idea of what to increase/decrease or who's fader you may need to ride.

Keep the EQ and effects under control (not too much, but not too little).  Make sure the channels aren't peaking out.  And with "rat pack" style, make sure the vocals are clear and warm (i.e. may need a bit more reverb - depending on the hall).

Gary A. Perrett

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:53 pm »

I've been asked to mix a gig next week that is well beyound my previous experience. Luckily it's a walk in, so at least the physical pressure is off.

My FOH experience is relatively limited. At one point I was doing maybe 1 FOH gig a month for a cover band, but now my FOH gigs have been even more sparatic and ridiculously ecelectic - metal, orchestral, acoustic and so on.

The gig I've been asked to do is for a well respected and highly experienced artist, known nation wide. I believe the only reason I've been asked is because they can't find anyone else. The status of the artist is no higher that acts I've worked for during my time as a monitor op, but well beyond my FOH experience.

The style of music is rat pack style crooning, something I've not mixed before nor really ever listened too.

I've yet to get info on the rig so I'm in the dark with that too.

So I'm at two minds about this. On one hand I'm concerned that I wont be able to meet the standard required, and may damage my reputation, on the other hand I''m excited at the prospect of a chalange. I know I underestimate my abilities at times and have manage to rise to meet challanges in the past.

I'm really hoping to make my next carrer move a return to audio, and need to get started somehow.

What have others done in this situation?

Hopefully the system will have a system tech? If the console is a digital like a DM5 or SC48 you'll NEED help, and the tech is then your best friend.

Try and forward the show (find out everything you can before hand.. right down to input lists and monitor needs)and get as much info as possible, because the more info you get the fewer surprises you'll have.

Good luck!
G

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:12:54 am »

Hopefully the system will have a system tech? If the console is a digital like a DM5 or SC48 you'll NEED help, and the tech is then your best friend.

Try and forward the show (find out everything you can before hand.. right down to input lists and monitor needs)and get as much info as possible, because the more info you get the fewer surprises you'll have.

Good luck!
G

I just found out it's LS9... I've used one once before when I was locked out of the majority of fuctions. It was a nightmare. Looks like I've got some reading to do...

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:19 am »

I just found out it's LS9... I've used one once before when I was locked out of the majority of fuctions. It was a nightmare. Looks like I've got some reading to do...

Hello Luis,

This new gig will be an experience.  As others have said, keep it simple.  Vocals on top, orchestra secondary.   If you have time...beg, borrow, or rent an LS9 for a day and play with it. Sure... you may break even on this gig, considering rental cost, but...the experience will be invaluable.

Good Luck,
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

cory waters

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:09:39 am »

I would advise you to let them know your situation before you take the gig.  Tell them up front that you don't have much experience on that mixer and none with that type of performer.  If the promoter (or whoever's booking you) thinks that's a big problem, better to find out before you're there over your head.  Could be they called you because there's nobody else, like you said. In which case, go do the gig and do your best.  Maybe they called you because they heard you did good somewhere else.
I guess the nugget here is: Don't misrepresent yourself.  Let them know you're confident you can figure it out but you might need a little more time than they'd expect from a seasoned guy.

CW

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »

I would advise you to let them know your situation before you take the gig.  Tell them up front that you don't have much experience on that mixer and none with that type of performer.  If the promoter (or whoever's booking you) thinks that's a big problem, better to find out before you're there over your head.  Could be they called you because there's nobody else, like you said. In which case, go do the gig and do your best.  Maybe they called you because they heard you did good somewhere else.
I guess the nugget here is: Don't misrepresent yourself.  Let them know you're confident you can figure it out but you might need a little more time than they'd expect from a seasoned guy.

CW

I did misrepresent myself. in this thread! the gig is today! (I don't know why I said next week). I spoke to them yesterday and told them I'd only used an LS9 once and that I want as much time as possible by myself before SC. When I get there today I'll be as open as possible without giving them cause to panic.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:05 am »

I did misrepresent myself. in this thread! the gig is today! (I don't know why I said next week). I spoke to them yesterday and told them I'd only used an LS9 once and that I want as much time as possible by myself before SC. When I get there today I'll be as open as possible without giving them cause to panic.

How did it go?

Now that it's over, what would you do differently and how will you prepare for the next one?
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »

How did it go?

Now that it's over, what would you do differently and how will you prepare for the next one?

Acceptable. Band seemed happy and the audience loved the show. I've got a ton of questions so I'll start a de-brief thread when I get some time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.