ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rough Weekend  (Read 3861 times)

David Parker

Rough Weekend
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »

had three sound jobs last weekend, each at least 100 miles round trip. Two down, Saturday morning, at home, I noticed a low tire on my trailer (tandem axle, so 4 tires total). Took it off, got it repaired, put it back on. Left for Saturday night job. Car in front of me swerved to miss a mattress in the freeway that I could not see until he swerved, so I had to run over it. I thought all was well, then some folks pulled up beside me pointing. Pulled over and found that the mattress had pulled out my trailer electrical connector, and it had drug on the freeway, and all that was left was a frayed 14-6 SO cable. So no brakes and no lights, on a major freeway in Houston. On down the road was a Harbor Freight store, pulled in there, got a pigtail, and got the lights working. Got to the restaurant/bar where we were playing, and noticed another low tire on the trailer, probably ran over something sharp in the mattress. Got the spare out, it was a little low. Rolled it over to a gas station across the parking lot, I had 50 cents, the air pump wanted 75. Went back, borrowed a quarter, rolled the tire BACK to the gas station, aired it up, then changed the flat on the trailer. Two flats in one day. Band played for a packed house of 12 patrons. After midnight the band played for the club staff. Whew! Got paid, went home.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Rough Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »

All one can say is "Sucks to be you."

I feel for you!  I had a trailer tire throw a gator several months ago and completely bent my fender and there was no room to pull over and change the tire for a while and when I did it was about 10,000 degrees on the asphalt and I didn't have my gloves with me.  That sucked too!

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:01:07 AM »

Saw a guy yesterday changing his tire and the sprinklers on the nature strip came on 1/2 way through and 1 of them was squirting the road right on him.

Mike McNany

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »

had three sound jobs last weekend, each at least 100 miles round trip. Two down, Saturday morning, at home, I noticed a low tire on my trailer (tandem axle, so 4 tires total). Took it off, got it repaired, put it back on. Left for Saturday night job. Car in front of me swerved to miss a mattress in the freeway that I could not see until he swerved, so I had to run over it. I thought all was well, then some folks pulled up beside me pointing. Pulled over and found that the mattress had pulled out my trailer electrical connector, and it had drug on the freeway, and all that was left was a frayed 14-6 SO cable. So no brakes and no lights, on a major freeway in Houston. On down the road was a Harbor Freight store, pulled in there, got a pigtail, and got the lights working. Got to the restaurant/bar where we were playing, and noticed another low tire on the trailer, probably ran over something sharp in the mattress. Got the spare out, it was a little low. Rolled it over to a gas station across the parking lot, I had 50 cents, the air pump wanted 75. Went back, borrowed a quarter, rolled the tire BACK to the gas station, aired it up, then changed the flat on the trailer. Two flats in one day. Band played for a packed house of 12 patrons. After midnight the band played for the club staff. Whew! Got paid, went home.

Dave,
At least you were prepared and a real trooper about it. Only trailer issues I've had (knock on wood) was 3 flats ALL noticed at home (while owning a 2nd trailer), a broken ground wire on the way to a gig (which was a PITA enough at night) and a deer trying to jump in front of the tow vehicle on the way to the gig. With the deer I made the hasty decision to speed up rather than hit it on the front end, which often makes the vehicle inoperable and usually causes $3-5K in damage. I "lucked" out and the deer jumped almost between the vehicle (Ford Expedition) and the trailer (the 6x6x10). Dented the front corner of the trailer and bent the fender into the wheel. I bent the fender out of the wheel and drove on the remaining 20 miles to the gig. I was prepared to have to leave the trailer but the tire was still fully inflated after the gig ;>) When I fully checked the next day, the tire only had a gouge cut into the tread. I took the fender off, bent it with HUGE Channel-locks and pounded it fairly smooth. Still used that tire for another 4-5 years after ;>) Although I DID buy and carry a spare after the incident.

Mike McNany

Robert Patch

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »

I ran over a tire tread once that dented in the front of the trailer and pulled the electrical connector and did the same thing.  I can't count the number of trailer tires I've changed including on the express lanes of the New Jersey Turnpike and along jersey walls on the PA Turnpike.  I always have my spare tire, jack, lug wrench and traffic cones ready in the back of the pickup so I can get right to work.  My experience is that a new trailer tire is like flat tire bait.  As soon as you get one, another will blow.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »

Coming home from a gig one night I ran over a pig. This wasn't a wild pig, but a domestic pig weighing in the neighborhood of 350lbs. The street was dark, no house lights on, so I looked around and just dragged it over to the side of the road, still somewhat alive.

About 4am there's a cop pounding on my front door. He's with some guy and the guy looks pissed. I open the door and the cop wants to haul me down to the station for a hit and run, but after explaining he's OK with my not reporting the incident. The guy with him on the other hand is still pissed and starts screaming about his pig and how I should pay him for it. Now I'm pissed and tell him to stick the dead pig up his ass and told him that if he was that much in love with hogs he could eat this (pointing to my crotch). The cop steps between us and things calm down. So I ask the cop, "How the fuck did you know it was me who hit the pig?" He looked me right in the eye and said "The pig squeeled."

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »

Coming home from a gig one night I ran over a pig. This wasn't a wild pig, but a domestic pig weighing in the neighborhood of 350lbs. The street was dark, no house lights on, so I looked around and just dragged it over to the side of the road, still somewhat alive.

About 4am there's a cop pounding on my front door. He's with some guy and the guy looks pissed. I open the door and the cop wants to haul me down to the station for a hit and run, but after explaining he's OK with my not reporting the incident. The guy with him on the other hand is still pissed and starts screaming about his pig and how I should pay him for it. Now I'm pissed and tell him to stick the dead pig up his ass and told him that if he was that much in love with hogs he could eat this (pointing to my crotch). The cop steps between us and things calm down. So I ask the cop, "How the fuck did you know it was me who hit the pig?" He looked me right in the eye and said "The pig squeeled."

HAHAHA, Good One!!!!  All joking aside, in Texas the owner of the animal is responsible for damage to the vehicle! A friend's cow got out and some people in the country illegally ran into it, and they went to court and sued the owner of the cow, a legal resident.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »

Sound like a fun weekend. I don't have anything as bad as that since I mix in house but one day it did happen that they decided to up security and lock away the mics, unfortunately they forgot to have them out again when I needed to start set-up. Quickest  scramble I've done to get the bare minimum. Miced an 8 piece band with 4 mics and a DI. There was sound but it sure wasn't great.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.