ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Network to handle Distributed Sound  (Read 5450 times)

Paul Gussack

Dante Network to handle Distributed Sound
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »

We are installing a system into a venue that will have a Yamaha PM5D-RH at FOH and a M7CL at MON. We will have 4 VIP lounges, 2 Green Rooms, Smoking porch, Production office, Management office and the potential for a broadcast feed.  We are looking at Dante as a way to get the audio to these locations (some 300 ft apart).  I'd appreciate some advice on how to change the Dante digital audio signal to a format that can be controlled form a wall controller to a format we can connect to an amplifier or powered speaker so that all these locations can have clear audio as best as possible.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Dante Network to handle Distributed Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »

We are installing a system into a venue that will have a Yamaha PM5D-RH at FOH and a M7CL at MON. We will have 4 VIP lounges, 2 Green Rooms, Smoking porch, Production office, Management office and the potential for a broadcast feed.  We are looking at Dante as a way to get the audio to these locations (some 300 ft apart).  I'd appreciate some advice on how to change the Dante digital audio signal to a format that can be controlled form a wall controller to a format we can connect to an amplifier or powered speaker so that all these locations can have clear audio as best as possible.
Dante may be a great solution for you bit it sounds a bit like you've selected a solution and are trying to fit the application to it.  Dante is audio over IP distribution, you use standard wired network routers, etc. as needed along with end point devices that incorporate Dante interfaces.  Basically, Dante is routing data, if you want an actual audio signal then that requires a conversion.

Other than the Virtual Soundcard for PCs, which really isn't a device, there are no actual Dante audio devices.  Just like Cobranet and EtherSound, what you have are mixers, DSP devices, amplifiers, etc, from various manufacturers that have either integrated Dante connectivity or the ability to add Dante compatible interface cards.  So to get audio from a Dante network to an amplifier you could use an amplifier that has direct Dante connectivity or use a DSP or other device that has Dante connectivity and then run analog or digital audio from there to the amplifier.  I'm not sure what the wall controller you reference is intended to do so I can't address that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:00:55 AM by Brad Weber »

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »

As mentioned, you would need to convert the digital format to analog in some way, shape, or form.  Whether this takes place in a designated box, in a DSP, or in an amplifier is up to you.
Incidentally, wall controllers are irrelevant; you talk to a DSP with a wall controller.  You can't just 'turn up the volume' on channel 23 of the Dante stream.  To do so, you would require a DSP to take the Dante stream as an input, have a volume control in it, and output the adjusted level to a new channel on the Dante stream (or a seperate Dante stream).

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »

So, it sounds to me like you have about 2/3 of your solution. Where were you planning to get the feeds for your various outlying areas (VIP, smoking porch, Production and management offices, etc...)???

I (probably because I work for a company that manufactures audio DSP systems) would highly recommend using an audio DSP that will allow you to create a customized signal flow that will allow you to take the various sources you would like to distribute and select them for distribution to the different endpoints. Then, you can use a wall control that communicates with this DSP to adjust the source and level for these areas. Of course, you will be able to apply equalization, compression, limiting, delay, etc, etc, etc... as you desire to process the audio for these endpoints.

Since you are already using the Yamaha consoles, you could probably use a Yamaha DME (I assume they will accept Yamaha's Dante card) to facilitate this, or I know you can use a MediaMatrix Dante Enabled NION to do it as well.

So, what you end up with is a PM-5D for FoH, an M7-CL for Monitors, and a DSP box for the rest of the place; all interconnected with Dante.

Have fun and good luck!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.