ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System Recommendation  (Read 29338 times)

Steve Tremayne

Sound System Recommendation
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »

Hello Folks:
I am hoping to get some recommendations for a sound reinforcement system.  Budget, 7-8K USD.

We are a 4-piece classic R&R band (Drums, two guitars and bass).   The three front guitarists can share one monitor mix with minimal instrumentation but strong vocal mix.  Drummer needs second mix to include strong instrumentation and vocal mix.

Largest indoor venue would probably be in the 6000 sq foot range.  If we do anything larger, we would hire out a sound person with a system, or the venue would provide sound (we would hope).

Would like to configure with an unpowered board and passive mains and monitors.  Each member is responsible for their own instrument and vocal mics, although we will be using Shure SM58s for all vocals, SM57s for the two guitarists and the bass musician has a XLR direct output that would go to the board.  The drummer is somewhat of a hard hitter, so we will be using a couple of overhead condenser mics and a Shure Beta 52A for the kick.

We want to rack mount all components for convenience.  For now, we will be running the sound from the stage.  We have looked at an Allen & Heath MixWizard 3 16:2 board and an SKB Roto Rig for components and board.

I would appreciate feedback and recommendations.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Re: Sound System Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »

First of all, you need to use your real name before the moderator locks this thread.

I think your budget of $7 - 8K is way too small for something that will handle that type of music in up to a 6K square foot venue.  You'll need three decent wedges, and unless the drummer doesn't need kick or bass in his mix, a drum fill (generally a small sub with a wedge on top or a single cabinet with a good 15" or 18" and plenty of power).  You'll need at least four, maybe six or eight 18s for the low end (in some combination of single or double 18" cabinets), and two or more top cabinets that can be splayed correctly together per side.  You'll need good solid amps to properly power the subs and tops, as well as the two monitor mixes.  Add in a couple of GEQs or PEQs for FOH and the monitor mixes, a couple of effects units (unless all you need is what's in the MixWiz), possibly some compression, then add mics, stands and cables, and power distribution.

If your budget is pretty well fixed, re-think the venue size threshold of 6K square feet.  Spec a system that will handle 80 - 90% of your shows, and hire out the rest.

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »

Okay, re-thinking things, let's say 4000 sq would be the max inside venue, yes, we go with an outside vendor if venue is larger.  So . . . .

First of all, you need to use your real name before the moderator locks this thread.

I think your budget of $7 - 8K is way too small for something that will handle that type of music in up to a 6K square foot venue.  You'll need three decent wedges, and unless the drummer doesn't need kick or bass in his mix, a drum fill (generally a small sub with a wedge on top or a single cabinet with a good 15" or 18" and plenty of power).  You'll need at least four, maybe six or eight 18s for the low end (in some combination of single or double 18" cabinets), and two or more top cabinets that can be splayed correctly together per side.  You'll need good solid amps to properly power the subs and tops, as well as the two monitor mixes.  Add in a couple of GEQs or PEQs for FOH and the monitor mixes, a couple of effects units (unless all you need is what's in the MixWiz), possibly some compression, then add mics, stands and cables, and power distribution.

If your budget is pretty well fixed, re-think the venue size threshold of 6K square feet.  Spec a system that will handle 80 - 90% of your shows, and hire out the rest.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:34:16 PM »

Okay, re-thinking things, let's say 4000 sq would be the max inside venue, yes, we go with an outside vendor if venue is larger.  So . . . .

Buy quality used gear.  For the kit, go with kick, snare and a couple of judiciously chosen and placed tom mics.  If he's a hard hitter your front line vocal mics will serve as OH substitutes.  Just hope he doesn't hit so hard that you have to worry about keeping the cymbals OUT of them........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »

Yamaha SM12v wedges, S115V or S215V for drummer IF he wants drums thru them (try to talk him out of it). Cheapest FOH passive 2way that I've been happy with have been the Yamaha S12V, but that's not a very potent box for loud rock bands. Better to get fewer boxes that are up to the task (JBL SRX, etc), but your budget may not cover that level. Powered speakers might be a better approach.

What are are you in?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »

What are are you in?

Are are ye a pirate?????
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »

Well, first, I am sorry to completely disreguard your requirements, but my best recommendation would be:
    • Presonus SL 16.4.2 ($1700)
    • Yamaha DSR112 (2x$800)
    • JBL PRX618 XLF (2x$1300)
    • A used pair of powered monitors
    Reasoning:

This system will be small, light, and powerful.  The SL mixer contains all the efx, gates, compressors, and parametric eq's you will need and it sounds really great.

I have a mix wiz myself along with a presonus ACP88, TCElectronics M-OneXL, power conditioner, CD rack mount, ART HQ 31 channel main eq and Delta 1010 for recording.  This is a really great sounding system, but it is  big and heavy.  ALL of this functionality resides within the SL and more.

Is there any particular reason you want to go with passive speakers?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:18:54 PM by Scott Bolt »

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:55:57 PM »

I am not against powered speakers.  I'm just trying to see if we can pull this off within the stated budget or close to it.

Well, first, I am sorry to completely disreguard your requirements, but my best recommendation would be:
[list=1]
  • Yamaha DSR112 (2x$800)
Reasoning:

This system will be small, light, and powerful.  The SL mixer contains all the efx, gates, compressors, and parametric eq's you will need and it sounds really great.

I have a mix wiz myself along with a presonus ACP88, TCElectronics M-OneXL, power conditioner, CD rack mount, ART HQ 31 channel main eq and Delta 1010 for recording.  This is a really great sounding system, but it is  big and heavy.  ALL of this functionality resides within the SL and more.

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:58:31 PM »

Scott, why the Yamaha's for the mains and JBLs for the subs? 

[list=1]
  • Yamaha DSR112 (2x$800)
Reasoning:

Albert Thomas

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »

Hello Folks:
I am hoping to get some recommendations for a sound reinforcement system.  Budget, 7-8K USD.

If you're not in a big hurry and have some patience, I would think you could put together an adequate system within your budget as long as you don't have to have new gear.

I'm thinking for R&R you may want to consider 2x15 mains. I picked up a pair of like new EV eliminator doubles with matching I-Subs for $700 on Craigslist. Just recently there were a pair of like new JRX125's for $500. Granted, this isn't "pro level" stuff, but maybe good enough for what you need. I've used the EV's bi-amped for DJ's and R&R bands in high school gyms and rooms up to ~5000sqft. and they were fine.  There's a  clean Soundcraft GB4 32 channel console on there right now for $1400 .  At these prices you can re-sell without taking a huge hit if the gear doesn't quite work out.
The down side is you don't have a warranty.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.