ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System Recommendation  (Read 29062 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Sound System Recommendation
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »

Most of the "additional EQ" is in the board with the Presonus (along with compressors, gates, limiters, reverb, delay, etc).

Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

I own and use a StudioLive board for the convenience of taking a minimal amount of gear for smaller jobs.  The gates, comps and FX are OK, but I would never go with the onboard EQ's for mains and monitors.  Channel EQ's are usable to some degree, but for the mains and monitors I go with four channels of Sabine GraphiQ to get some real control. This gives me surgical precision for the mains and three monitor mixes in a two rack-space case.  I use the blank faceplate models and access them through my laptop which is what I use for playback as well.  This additional level of control makes it work as well as anything else and I would never be without it. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »

Hi,

You have had lots of good advice. You might wish to check out Crossroads Audio/Dallas Pro Audio Sales, about 14 miles away from you, near Love Field. They are also a rental and production company. You will see many of the products mentioned in this thread, on their over the counter rental list/pdf. Also have look at GearSource for listings.

Iain.

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

The only reason I might get a pair of 615's over some 612's is if you might set up in a small room with out subs. I guess it also depends on what your drummer/bass player might need for monitors.

• Presonus SL 16.4.2
  • JBL PRX615M (X2)
  • JBL PRX618S-XLF - (X2)These are 1000W subs - would the 600w variaty do the job?
  • JBL PRX612M (X4)

Knowing that expansion is available down the line, to get off the ground, it looks like a should probably add some graphic EQs to the mains and monitors.  If I do this, am I correct hat the mains can be handled with a two channel 31-band dbx? (it looks like the subs would be conneted right off the mains).  On the Monitors, I want to be able to have 4 monitor mixes.  How many EQs / Channels will I need for that?
[/list]

Rob Gow

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »

• Presonus SL 16.4.2
    • JBL PRX615M (X2)
    • JBL PRX618S-XLF - (X2)These are 1000W subs - would the 600w variaty do the job?
    • JBL PRX612M (X4)

Knowing that expansion is available down the line, to get off the ground, it looks like a should probably add some graphic EQs to the mains and monitors.  If I do this, am I correct hat the mains can be handled with a two channel 31-band dbx? (it looks like the subs would be conneted right off the mains).  On the Monitors, I want to be able to have 4 monitor mixes.  How many EQs / Channels will I need for that?
    [/list]

You need 4 EQ's and 4 amp channels:

QSC CX404 = four 250W 8ohm channels...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
      • Lynx Audio Services
    « Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »

While it may seem you can cut these out to save money, I vote no. Get a good case for the mixer so it survives gig to gig. I had a friend years ago who hauled his Mackie SR24-4 wrapped in a blanket. He was always needing replacement knobs and packing his car was a pain cause the mixer always had to go on top.
    Also, if you are buying new speakers, get good covers for them. It will keep them good looking and when you need to upgrade (we always have to upgrade), the speakers will be worth more.
    rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »

Speakers are active so I would not need more amplification, just the EQs.  So for the two mains, 2 bands of EQ and one band of EQ for each monitor, correct?  Also, I am looking at a SKB Roto Gig Rig Mixer Rack.[/list]

Rob Gow

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »

Ahhh ok I misunderstood, yeah, 6 EQ's total.

2 for FOH
    1 for each of the monitor channels.

Speakers are active so I would not need more amplification, just the EQs.  So for the two mains, 2 bands of EQ and one band of EQ for each monitor, correct?  Also, I am looking at a SKB Roto Gig Rig Mixer Rack.[/list]

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »

The only reason I might get a pair of 615's over some 612's is if you might set up in a small room with out subs. I guess it also depends on what your drummer/bass player might need for monitors.

• Presonus SL 16.4.2
      • JBL PRX615M (X2)
      • JBL PRX612M (X4)

[/list]

I would spend the few extra dollars for the XLF subs. I have a pair of VRX918SP subs that use the same driver and they sound great!
      I havent used a Studio Live but before you start spending on EQ's check it out first because I think the mixer has EQ's on the mains and maybe the AUX channels too.

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »

I would spend the few extra dollars for the XLF subs. I have a pair of VRX918SP subs that use the same driver and they sound great!  I havent used a Studio Live but before you start spending on EQ's check it out first because I think the mixer has EQ's on the mains and maybe the AUX channels too.

Hi Rob.  I was pretty sure I knew the answer to my "Subs" question before I even asked.  I also believe that I will postpone the EQ purchase until I have tried the unit out in a live performance environment.

Steve Tremayne

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »

The SL 16.4.2 is mentioned because it is a really nice board with lots of integrated features which you are going to want to make a good sounding mix anyway (gates for the drums, compression for vocals, bass, etc, parametric eq for everything, reverb/delay). 

• You don't need a speaker management system with today's powered speaker systems as this is built in.
      • With decent powered speakers, you can run your main eq flat and sound really good so you don't really need an equalizer.

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for so much great feedback.  This is the first forum I have been involved with where its membership doesn’t make a newbie like myself feel like an idiot!

Referencing Scott’s feedback above, I would like to keep this thing as simple as possible but I do not want to sacrifice quality which takes me to my next question:

Although the mixer I am looking at (SL 16.4.2) contains a number of great features, there appears to be varying opinions with regards to additional “Speaker Management” systems.  Tabling the EQ debate, the “DriveRack” for speaker optimization keeps weighing on my mind.  “dbx” touts their units as a must for “powered speakers”.   Considering the fact that the PRX’s (per side) would be connected in series, would a DriveRack truly contribute to sound optimization or is this something that should be considered only if necessary?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.