ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blizzard Puck  (Read 19582 times)

Jon R Smith

Blizzard Puck
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:23:45 AM »

Greetings,

I have been upgrading my lighting lately. Mostly moving to LED. Recently I purchased a piece from Blizzard Lighting called the Puck. Appropriately named as it resembles a hockey puck just slightly larger. 8“x8”x2“. So far, a great unit. I had it out at a wedding this past week and was very pleased. Used it as uplighting for the reception. Here are some of the details about the Puck.

Flat LED Par Can
RGB Color mixing via 144 10 mm REd/Green/Blue LED's
Variable electronic strobe
Variable electronic dimmer
Built-in automated programs via DMX and master/slave
Built-in sound active programs
Full RGB color mixing in standalone and master/slave
RGB (3 channel) and extended (6 Channel) DMX modes.

Several other features are available. I just basically copied the manual above. I found it to be much brighter than some other fixtures I have looked at. Specs list it as: Lux: 3.920 @ 1m. 20 ft ceiling and wall was very nicely lit. It has a dual bracket that can be used as a stand off the floor and able to mount as like a regular par can. It will also sit flat on the floor if you want or need it to. The fixture has 144x10mm LEDs 48 each R/B/G.

At the wedding I used it as back lighting for the dance floor and programed it for the colors of the wedding. Purple and green. Sound odd at first but they worked well together.

I have been using a 3 Channel controller from Chauvet an Obey 3. I have an Obey 10 on the way and am looking forward to playing more with the DMX programing. One of the great things is that you can Daisy Chain up to 32 of the Puck together and use a little over 1/2 of the amperage of a single 1000 W. Par 56!

Other advantages: No heat baking your artists. Although this was nice with some divas. I had all my lighting powered from a single 15A outlet. It was nice. I was also running a Chauvet 4Bar and 4Play on the same circuit and never had an inkling of a problem. I was way below the amp level of the socket.

Thanks for sticking out the read. This is really a great product for the price and I am going to get several more. Going to be using them as a stage wash this weekend and will follow up on this review. If you have any questions let me know and I will give it a bash and report.

Jon
Jon

If you haven't seen the future, your not driving fast enough.

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
Re: Blizzard Puck
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:31:57 AM »

Nice review.  I've been looking into Blizzard Lighting for a while, some interesting products.  Now if only the had a UK dealer....
Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »

I bought a pair of the new RGBA version. They add amber LEDs to make the white a little less cold. I do a lot of gigs in tiny strange venues, and there is frequently nothing like stage lighting, so I want these for simple general wash.

Last week I was on a train doing sound for Jimmy Webb, Jesse Winchester, and Tom Russell in a 1940s Pullman club car. I brought the Puck RGBAs with my laptops in my carryon.

They make a hard-edged spot right out of the box, no spread at all. I bought a couple of page-sized plastic fresnel magnifiers on ebay, cut to fit, and tucked them right inside the fixture. Works a treat. Nice wide soft wash. Even gives you a bit of that color fringing in the shadows that says "stage lighting".

I got a USB DMX interface for my laptop, but ended up running them wide open.
Looked great.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:04:45 PM by Dan Richardson »
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:44:40 PM »

I just bought some MBT LED cans and was not happy with them.  So in an attempt to find a better can, I bought a Colorkey Par 64 1 Watt LED, a Blizzard Puck, and a Chauvet Slim Par.  I liked the Puck because of its size and the color balance was far better than the MBT's however it was not as bright.  The Colorkey can was the brightest of all but as large as a normal short par can.  I then found the Chauvet Slim Par.  It is like the Puck in size but brighter than the MBT's and the Puck and a better color balance than all the rest.  It has many of the same features as the Puck so that is the can I am going to start buying to build my lighting rig.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

James Fahey

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »

Nice review.  I've been looking into Blizzard Lighting for a while, some interesting products.  Now if only the had a UK dealer....

oh but they do...
http://shop.forcetwelvelighting.co.uk/

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »

I then found the Chauvet Slim Par.  It is like the Puck in size but brighter than the MBT's and the Puck and a better color balance than all the rest.

I assume you got the Slim Par 64?
I'm sort of shopping these lights right now and according to specs:

- The SlimPar 56 is rated at 1290 lux at 1 meter
- The Puck is rated at 3930 lux at 1 meter
- The SlimPar 64 is rated at 3640 lux at 1 meter

If specs are real, you would expect the Puck to be just as bright or darn close.

Which SlimPar are you using and and is the difference in brightness a big one?

Thanks!

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »

The Slim Par that I have is a 64.  I suspect the ratings because I have both the Puck and the Slim Par side by side and the Slim Par is brighter by a good amount.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I found conflicting ratings for the Puck last night.

One source says says 3920 lux @ 1 m
another source says 2220 lux @ 1 m

That's quite a difference!
Sounds like the 2220 is the one from what you're saying.
Appreciate it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:33:11 AM by Steve Hurt »

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »

From looking further, the Puck has 144 - 10mm LED's.
The Slim Par 64 has 196 - 10mm LED's
That's 25% more of the same power lights so one would expect the Slimpar 64 would be brighter

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »

Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.