ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: reply auto quote  (Read 7344 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
reply auto quote
« on: May 07, 2011, 10:49:28 am »

When I click the "reply" in a thread, the reply window opens with a quote of the post already inserted.
Is this a function I can de-select?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: reply auto quote
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:56:12 am »

When I click the "reply" in a thread, the reply window opens with a quote of the post already inserted.
Is this a function I can de-select?

This is intentional. Because this software is flat view only, and doesn't reference any message to the message it is a reply to, we added the single quote of the new text in the post being responded to in order to give some reference to what was being responded to. If you use the quote button it should quote all the text in the message, not just the new text.

Yes, you can edit it out, but why? If you are not replying to something in the thread, why are you posting? If you are responding to something in the thread, don't you want it to be clear what you are responding to?

Mac

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:21:34 am »

Yes, you can edit it out, but why? If you are not replying to something in the thread, why are you posting? If you are responding to something in the thread, don't you want it to be clear what you are responding to?

Mac

I was wondering the same thing.  Thanks for explaining that.  There have been times when quoting a previous poster seemed redundant, but it may encourage clearer replies in some cases.

"Quote" quotes everything, while "Reply" quotes only the new content of the post being replied to. (I think I have that right  ;D)

GTD

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:41:00 pm »

I was wondering the same thing.  Thanks for explaining that.  There have been times when quoting a previous poster seemed redundant, but it may encourage clearer replies in some cases.

"Quote" quotes everything, while "Reply" quotes only the new content of the post being replied to. (I think I have that right  ;D)

GTD
Well, perhaps I am not responding specifically to the previous message or maybe I don't need to quote a long post to make my point.
Sometimes it just ends up with too much info.
Maybe I'm responding to a comment further up the thread.
Why not just let me select what I need quoted to be pertinent to my response and leave it at that?
No big deal , just askin', that's all.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »

Well, perhaps I am not responding specifically to the previous message or maybe I don't need to quote a long post to make my point.
Sometimes it just ends up with too much info.
Maybe I'm responding to a comment further up the thread.
Why not just let me select what I need quoted to be pertinent to my response and leave it at that?
No big deal , just askin', that's all.

If you are responding to a post further up the thread, why aren't you hitting the reply button in that post? That is the whole reason for the forced quote, so responses that do not follow the OP in time still have a reference in the text. You can edit whatever you want out of your response. It would be good forum etiquette to edit out all but the part you are responding to. In a flat view only forum that does not maintain any reference of what message is attached to what other message the only way to maintain the logic of the thread is to quote the pertinent text. Responding out of time, and with no quote, just makes your post hard to follow to everyone but you.

Mac

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:25:09 pm »

You can edit whatever you want out of your response. It would be good forum etiquette to edit out all but the part you are responding to. Mac

If I may:  Chances are it'll be more work to follow good forum etiquette with this new function than without, since statistically one wil now have to edit out stuff manually more often (like I just did now in order to reply to one of your exact comments as opposed to the whole entire thread.)  If a long thread will end up having qoutes of every post up until then - what's the point of qoutes in the first place?

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

If a long thread will end up having qoutes of every post up until then - what's the point of qoutes in the first place?

What this software really needs is a spell checker!   ;)
(At least that's what I really need.)

GTD

paul bell

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »

I agree. It should not automatically quote-it's annoying.

We quote (here and other forums we may subscribe to) when we're trying to reinforce somebody else's specific post. When it's a general post about the topic of the thread, quoting is unnecessary. We are adults here and know when to use or not use the quote feature.

It also seems silly to have two reply buttons, one for with quote and one regular but they both quote.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:20:22 am »

If a long thread will end up having qoutes of every post up until then - what's the point of qoutes in the first place?

What this software really needs is a spell checker!   ;)
(At least that's what I really need.)

GTD

Geoff, I can't spot my mistake, could you point it out?

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:14:16 am »

The quote function here is pretty intelligent, and doesn't work that way. It only quotes new content in the message.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:14:16 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.