ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Software for M1 Apple Silicon Macs?  (Read 761 times)

Mike J Davis

Re: Lighting Software for M1 Apple Silicon Macs?
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 03:36:49 PM »

The thing with Chamsys is that they get people in on the low cost dongles and then they constantly update things and even add features users ask for. They don't make huge amounts on the hardware either, but people can get in and have the same software on lots of consoles - I've got an MQ80 sitting being used at the moment, but there is also a maxi wing from ten years back sitting there with fader/execute wings - here in the office, the showfile is happy on my macbook. You can get them to build head profiles for you, but once you get used to it, you can simply edit similar ones in the editor. This year we've had people tour through with faulty Avos - and our lighting guy is a bit of a wizz and get's their show working on the MagicQ in a similar way. The odd thing though is that every magicq user sets them up differently - depending on their history and age I think. Me, I like to build up a visual mimic of where the kit actually is - so I tap on the screen the third fixture on bar 2, and it comes on. I don't need to know what it is, or it's head number or DMX channel. My colleague never uses this - he has built a screen full of colours and positions which he finds better.

One thing we did discover is that while the MQ80 will talk to the node we use on stage, MagicQ on windows or IOS cannot. The network nodes Chamsys/Chauvet work, but the random old AVO old one we have will not work. No idea of the technical reason - but having the universes avaiable on the network does depend on what is at the other end. They even do a time limited dirt cheap dongle to experiment with. You get enough time to do all sorts before it times out. Students and amateurs with little money are as happy on magicq bottom end as are the big show people.

Working purely In The Box, I can see that fader movements don't map very smoothly, so having some kind of hardware control surface will be necessary if I want to use it for anything other than my own entertainment.  I'm torn between saying the hardware isn't extremely expensive when viewed as a software license fee for high-end packages, and also thinking that $1k for 11 unpowered faders and a couple of buttons is kinda steep.  Just unlocking the iPad app is worth it, I think, and I will ultimately be getting something.  The PC Wing certainly maps enough of the programming buttons to REALLY expedite more repetitive programming functions!

Mike J Davis

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 03:40:24 PM »

" I really don't need two concurrent universes now or even in the future, I would just love to be able to have multiple DMX chains running local to the light themselves so I don't get into transmission line issues with longer DMX runs as I start deploying the lights."

I may be jumping to an incorrect conclusion, but I think you are confusing a network node with a DMX splitter. The Chauvet unit takes a Artnet or sACN signal over CAT-type cable which can contain multiple universes (groups of 512 channels) and spits out one or more universes of DMX. To have multiple chains of the same DMX universe, you want a DMX splitter. So one DMX universe in and however many DUPLICATES of that universe out, ie 1 in x 4 out, 1 in x 8 out, etc. They are indeed used to shorten DMX cable runs and keep a fault on one DMX line from corrupting the entire rig. They can range from dirt cheap to very expensive.

Nope, no confusion - while I don't NEED multiple universes, I would like to experiment with them all the same.

And I'd also like the ability to have groups of fixtures (like all fixtures on one stand/truss section) all on their own universe for simplicity.

That and I'm just a geek and DMX-over-ethernet just seems SO damn cool!  And if I've got experience with it when I don't absolutely need it (so I can pick away at getting it working,) then it's just another tool in the toolbox when they are actually needed.

Mike J Davis

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 03:49:20 PM »

I thought similar.
The thing with DMX is that everytime new kit comes out, the DMX address count goes up. You can easily discover the lovely fixtures you got need way over 40 channels per unit! Ten of them hired in can be a shock if you have others more frugal. Ten years ago - the summer venue I look after never went above one universe - now every lighting bar and position around the stage is on it's own universe from the node! We still use DMX splitters occasionally - but this season, just one of the six we own is plugged in!

That said - we've had so few faults on long DMX lines it's not as critical as it used to be BUT we have lots of faults when we're patching dimmersand the cables, connectors and even the dimmer sockets get pulled/bent/stood on. With hindsight I should have used one of the splitters there because a DMX fault there messes ALL the dimmers up!

My one previous experience with more than a couple multi-channel fixtures was that something about the length of the run and mix of fixtures led to unpredictable behavior.  I did have my run terminated, but for some reason my trickier chase moments sometimes would work and sometimes not.  Part of it was on me for pushing the frame rate.  But having entire cues occasionally just ignored made parts of the show less inspiring than I wanted.

So for that reason, I'd like to have ArtNet/sACN down so that, if/when it ever happens again, I already have the skills to address it rather than having to shrug and consider reprogramming part of the show.

It seems like that DMX AN2 isn't garbage, so I'll pick that up after I get a couple more fixtures.  I was hoping there was something in the < $150 range with a single universe of output so I could just strap one to each logical grouping of fixtures and then only have to deal with ethernet runs.  A 4 or 8-port ethernet switch costs less than one long DMX cable!  ;D

(and yes, I realize that I'm still going to need rugged Ethercon cables for serious deployment and that it wouldn't save any money...)  :D

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 10:30:08 PM »

Working purely In The Box, I can see that fader movements don't map very smoothly, so having some kind of hardware control surface will be necessary if I want to use it for anything other than my own entertainment.  I'm torn between saying the hardware isn't extremely expensive when viewed as a software license fee for high-end packages, and also thinking that $1k for 11 unpowered faders and a couple of buttons is kinda steep.  Just unlocking the iPad app is worth it, I think, and I will ultimately be getting something.  The PC Wing certainly maps enough of the programming buttons to REALLY expedite more repetitive programming functions!

Granted it's been 7(?) years since the last time I really used MagicQ PC but I never noticed any substantial lag with dragging faders on the screen and units responding.  I know you can also command channel levels with "@" nomenclature if that helps.  To me it was the bump buttons that were tricky to use effectively via software alone.  Flying faders are still somewhat rare in lighting. 

Like I said higher up in this thread, I use a fader wing with Nomad when needing any real tactile control of my rig when not using my full console.  It's just really a question of what you're willing to spend on control.  The way I look at it is that a console is my interface to my rig - a bad interface can really handicap me even if working with top-level fixtures, whereas a good interface (console, wing, etc.) lets me make the most of my rig and programming time, even if the fixtures being used are less than desirable.  Programming/designing/operating is what makes me money and builds my reputation, so I budget for protecting that asset accordingly.  Granted you're more on the hobby side of this, but I'd argue the same philosophy generally applies.  The best fixtures in the world are useless if you can't control them how you want.

One other thing is that the wings hold their value pretty well, so if you change your mind at some point you can always sell the wing and make some cash back.  Hope this helps! 

Paul Johnson

« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:26:34 AM »

Iíve got a couple of touch screens in the store sometimes Iíve set up and discover I brought the laggy one. They other responds really well to slides. The bump buttons on a touch screen need more accuracy and deft touching than I have in my fingers. The smallest add on wings are fetching really good money.

For me the best bit is the keypad and syntax is very good at working out what you want to do. Often you see somebody type just a few buttons and interesting things happen, like adding a time entry to something that usually snaps. Like if you type a 3 then tap an on screen button you created with the label red, and it fades to that colour in 3 secs. Same thing with positions. You are always finding combinations

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #24 on: Today at 02:26:34 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.