ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a hard-disk music player. No iPod/PC.  (Read 9070 times)

Alex Fernie

• Alex Fernie Audio Ltd
Suggestions for a hard-disk music player. No iPod/PC.
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »

Hi All,

I'm looking for brand/model suggestions for a hard-disc music player for a bar. The owner doesn't want to use an iPod/iTunes solution as, understandably, "they walk". However he does want that functionality, ie easily import, delete & name tracks and build playlists (i.e Monday Night or Friday Night mix etc).

Best I've found so far is the Tascam SS-CDR01 http://tascam.com/product/ss-cdr1/overview/.

Any and all suggestions at all price brackets welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: Suggestions for a hard-disk music player. No iPod/PC.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »

Hi All,

I'm looking for brand/model suggestions for a hard-disc music player for a bar. The owner doesn't want to use an iPod/iTunes solution as, understandably, "they walk". However he does want that functionality, ie easily import, delete & name tracks and build playlists (i.e Monday Night or Friday Night mix etc).

Best I've found so far is the Tascam SS-CDR01 http://tascam.com/product/ss-cdr1/overview/.

Any and all suggestions at all price brackets welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex.
Denon-Marantz has a few.
http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4518&CatID=24&SubCatID=196

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »

The SS-CDR01 is a compact disc and compact flash recorder/player, I'm not sure it is really what you want.  I know you said no PC but I would think that a Mac Mini or something similar along with iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp, SoundCueSystem, QLab, etc. might be more of what they want.  You could then put everything in a secure rack, closet, etc.

FWIW, I believe that in this general type of application any Public Performance license they nay have would typically not cover making digital copies of music purchased by individuals for their personal use and playing that music.

Frank Guerrero

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »

well if thats what you are looking for then I highly recommend the ARCOS MEDIA TABLET. it is pretty much a hard-drive with a screens, it can play any type of file format and video out put and a stand to recored your show the pick up and go, its a great buy it is also web capable and you can play video, stream, games and a lot more check it out

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5it/index.html?country=us&lang=en
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:11:14 AM by Frank Guerrero »
Less, Is More!!

Alex Fernie

• Alex Fernie Audio Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions but unfortunately the client is wedded to the idea of a rack-mounted unit with a hard-disc player. I'd forgotten to mention the aPart PC1000R http://www.apart-audio.com/Products/productDetails.aspx?id=306. Again this is a SD/USB/CDR unit but has no solid state memory in-built.

Brad, as regards music and the PPL, my suggestion to all bar owners using iPods or similar devices is to maintain the original copies (i.e CD or iTunes receipts) on-site in case of inspection. Whether they choose to heed this advice is their concern.

However, based on Brad's other observations, I have now suggested to the client he think about a solution using airport express or other media server to play music in the bar from a centrally located computer.

Thanks for the suggestion Frank, however I don't think a tablet will satisfy the client's need for a "non-liftable" device.

Most of these types of bar/eat-ertainment installations I've done in the past 2 years have all involved iPod/iTunes solutions, so it's amazing to see how the hard-disk music player (once a defacto solution) has fallen out of favour with manufacturers.

Best,
Alex.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 01:16:13 AM »

...as regards music and the PPL, my suggestion to all bar owners using iPods or similar devices is to maintain the original copies (i.e CD or iTunes receipts) on-site in case of inspection. Whether they choose to heed this advice is their concern.

Here in the US, and I'm reasonably certain where you are it's no different, having the original copy isn't going to help you. When you purchase a CD for instance, the rights conveyed by that sale are that you may listen to that music only for your own personal pleasure. You are not buying the music, only limited rights to use it. Other than making a copy for yourself, you may not distribute it to others and you may not use it for business purposes or performances.

Simply put, if you play music in a business establishment you are using it to make your business more attractive to your customers hence you are using it to make money and the performers want their cut.

One way to handle this is to pay BMI, ASCAP and SESAC directly. Fees will depend upon the business, size and equipment, number of customers, etc. The easier way is to subscribe to a music service such as Muzak that pays all royalties.

If you want to stay out of trouble I suggest you forget what you are trying to do. I'm willing to bet that BMI and ASCAP are having a field day busting  all the people that think they can simply plug their iPod or internet music off a PC into their music system and get free music. In this country the installing company can be implicated as well as his customer in any legal disputes arising from the illegal use of music in a business establishment. Because I have no desire to be dragged into court I stay away from situations like this.

...it's amazing to see how the hard-disk music player (once a defacto solution) has fallen out of favour with manufacturers.

One of the main reasons for the non-availability of that kind equipment is because of the legalities I mentioned above. You will find it for residential type systems, broadcast and performance but really little for business music.

-Hal 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:55:43 AM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 01:16:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.