ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap eBay Cases  (Read 9610 times)

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Cheap eBay Cases
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »

I always see these inexpensive mixer cases on ebay. How does the board feel about these? Has anyone given them a try?

I figure a cheaper case will have thinner materials and less robust components, but for the weekend bar gig, will they do?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Cheap eBay Cases
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »

I always see these inexpensive mixer cases on ebay. How does the board feel about these? Has anyone given them a try?

I figure a cheaper case will have thinner materials and less robust components, but for the weekend bar gig, will they do?

They are slightly better than the paper box the equipment was shipped in.  If that's the level of protection you need because you're the only ones handling your gear, or all your roadie friends are extra gentle after closing time, you'll be fine.

Remember, the purpose of a case is to deliver the things inside in working order.  The more critical the item, the better the case needs to be.  If you drop the kak box and a bunch of short cables spill out, it's not a big deal.  If you drop the microphone box you might not be as lucky.

I hate flimsy console cases.  You can get by without a couple of mics, you can probably get by without some EFX or an EQ if your case fails... but if your console case takes a flying mic stand when you make an avoidance maneuver with the van, you'd better hope it's robust enough.

In cases you get what you pay for, too.  Nice cases last a lifetime and are a pleasure to use because you don't have to 'fight' them to put the lids on, or get the "right" lid on the "right" side of the rack; the extrusions have been de-burred; the handles are in sufficient quantity and in all the right places.

Buy according to your needs, but it's always cheaper to aim high now than to replace things later.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

They are slightly better than the paper box the equipment was shipped in.  If that's the level of protection you need because you're the only ones handling your gear, or all your roadie friends are extra gentle after closing time, you'll be fine.

Remember, the purpose of a case is to deliver the things inside in working order.  The more critical the item, the better the case needs to be.  If you drop the kak box and a bunch of short cables spill out, it's not a big deal.  If you drop the microphone box you might not be as lucky.

I hate flimsy console cases.  You can get by without a couple of mics, you can probably get by without some EFX or an EQ if your case fails... but if your console case takes a flying mic stand when you make an avoidance maneuver with the van, you'd better hope it's robust enough.

In cases you get what you pay for, too.  Nice cases last a lifetime and are a pleasure to use because you don't have to 'fight' them to put the lids on, or get the "right" lid on the "right" side of the rack; the extrusions have been de-burred; the handles are in sufficient quantity and in all the right places.

Buy according to your needs, but it's always cheaper to aim high now than to replace things later.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

It can't be said any better than Tim has just said it. You buy the best components you can afford and then put them in a cheap poorly made case. I don't know how that could make sense at all if you think about it, unless you don't care if those components are damaged, or keep you from doing the job because they're damaged. Good tools deserve a good home. I use Road Ready, just one of any number of good cases that can be bought for a reasonable price. And before you go there, injection molded cases are not an option in the real world.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »

I build all my own cases, and I like them, they work well for me. Probably the only advantage to the cheap ebay cases is that they probably are lighter than heavier duty cases. A good choice for "cheaper" cases is

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Case_Products_Page/CASE_and_HARDWARE_SELECT.shtml

Mike McNany

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »

As was said, depends on who is handling the case. I bought one of the cheap cases for my peavey RQ2314 a couple years back. The mixer was bought used and is a backup band, small gig and Dj mixer. I like the mixer but it wasn't worth a case that costs as much. I added some extra padding since it was "carpet padded" (next to nothing. It also has surface draw latches and a single surface mount handle. If you go this route, pay the extra and get the "flight" latch/handle package and the extra foam padding.

Along the way I picked up a used Gator G2030 mixer case. Love it's design but it was too big for that mixer. Sold it off later. Anyways, check out the plastic hardshell Gator and SKB mixer cases, they protect and seal well.

Mike McNany

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »

+1 on Audiopile.

While I had bad luck with an OSP case and a NY case for my 01v off of eBay, I have been extremely happy with all of my cases from Audiopile.

While not touring grade, for the small timer who loads all his own gear, they are great for the money. Plus the service from Mike and Liz is great.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »

+1 on Audiopile.

While I had bad luck with an OSP case and a NY case for my 01v off of eBay, I have been extremely happy with all of my cases from Audiopile.

While not touring grade, for the small timer who loads all his own gear, they are great for the money. Plus the service from Mike and Liz is great.

Interesting, I've had really great luck with OSP shock mount cases.
Far better results than I've had with RoadReady cases, I might point out.
I've purchased four OSP cases to date: a 20U shock mount, two 16U Effects shockmount, and a case with a bunch of drawers it in. Some of these cases I've had for several years and other than the usual scratches on the lids because the road crew tosses them around, they're all in extremely good condition. The casters, in particular, have held up real well (unlike my two Road Ready cases). The drawbacks to the shock mount cases are that they are heavier, larger (truck pack!), and more expensive. But having 1" or more of foam with a case within a case is a big deal to me.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Aaron Johnson

• Johnson AV Engineering
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »

I've purchased four OSP cases to date: a 20U shock mount, two 16U Effects shockmount, and a case with a bunch of drawers it in. Some of these cases I've had for several years and other than the usual scratches on the lids because the road crew tosses them around, they're all in extremely good condition. The casters, in particular, have held up real well (unlike my two Road Ready cases). The drawbacks to the shock mount cases are that they are heavier, larger (truck pack!), and more expensive. But having 1" or more of foam with a case within a case is a big deal to me.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
+1
My church has been using the OSP shock racks going on 5+ years now without any problems.  I haven't tried any of their other cases, but the shock racks are very robust for the application.  Now don't get me wrong, I agree that these wouldn't be the best for a production company or touring outfit, but for our situation they're fine.  I wouldn't sacrifice though on the console case, we're using an L&M for that and it's proven itself.  But for our rack gear, the shock rack provides that extra density in the walls.  I've been very impressed with the durability.
Aaron

Johnson AV Engineering

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »

I bought exactly one of the cheap Ebay cases years ago and while it's been fine for what I put in it (guitar pedal board) I wouldn't buy any of their stuff for racks or consoles unless it's never going to move but just sit in a church or club. Also, they where quite deceptive in the ad and in correspondence contradicting themselves about weather or not the case had been built and/or shipped.

???

Go with the Audiopile EWI stuff or the OSP stuff if you have too. The EWI is better though. From what I've heard from a close friend of the business Mark designs everything himself and they go through each piece for quality control before they ship.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 01:59:14 AM »

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

You hit on the Road Ready cases pretty hard so I would have to wonder which line case you had. There are two, the lower cost being the value line which I would recommend for DJ use or jobs not so demanding, but not for pro sound. The high priced spread has served me very well with no failures of any type. I make my own dollies for my cases so casters have never been a concern or a point of failure. I would wonder if you were using the manufactures dollies or if someone had simply screwed wheels to the bottom of the case, keeping in mind that Road Ready only has two (2) cases they install the wheels on. They also have a lifetime guarantee. If you still have those cases call road Ready. I've been told they'll replace them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 01:59:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.