ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apogee AE-7 Speakers  (Read 9191 times)

josh carper

Apogee AE-7 Speakers
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »

Hello,

I have a chance to pickup a used set of Apogee AE-7 speakers for $800 for the pair.  They do not come with the digital controller however.  Is it necessary to have the digital controller, or can I use my own eq, compression ,etc with good results?

Also, I plan to mainly use these for home rehearsal room and maybe occasional small gig.  Do think these are overkill for this application?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. 

George Dougherty

Re: Apogee AE-7 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »

Hello,

I have a chance to pickup a used set of Apogee AE-7 speakers for $800 for the pair.  They do not come with the digital controller however.  Is it necessary to have the digital controller, or can I use my own eq, compression ,etc with good results?

Also, I plan to mainly use these for home rehearsal room and maybe occasional small gig.  Do think these are overkill for this application?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Controller, if it's like the one for our AE-5's, has a feedback loop built-in to prevent blowing drivers.  You could probably get the job done with adequate DSP and enough know-how.  If you're comfortable tuning and aligning drivers, you can probably live without.  I don't believe there's any magical processing going on you won't find in a standard LMS, you're just missing out on the expertise and numerous hours invested by the design team to get them to sound right.

josh carper

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »

Thanks, George.

I don't have much experience with DSP's.  So I am probably better off finding a controller.

Can you define what LMS is? 

Since these will be used for home band rehearsal mainly and the ocassional small gig, do you think I'd be better off with a lesser speaker such as Mackie or JBL mid level stuff?  Can you explain to a newbie like me what the benefits I would get out of getting these Apogee's over the mid-level Mackie/JBL speakers?

Also, what do you think of the price point of $800 for a used pair?  Does that seem about average for a used set of these without controller?

Thanks for your time.
Josh

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »

Thanks, George.

I don't have much experience with DSP's.  So I am probably better off finding a controller.

Can you define what LMS is? 

Since these will be used for home band rehearsal mainly and the ocassional small gig, do you think I'd be better off with a lesser speaker such as Mackie or JBL mid level stuff?  Can you explain to a newbie like me what the benefits I would get out of getting these Apogee's over the mid-level Mackie/JBL speakers?

Also, what do you think of the price point of $800 for a used pair?  Does that seem about average for a used set of these without controller?

Thanks for your time.
Josh

For your use you are probably fine. This was part of Apogee's second generation of speakers, and it is not a full range speaker. It is intended to be used with the matching AE-7SB sub. The AE-7 is only specified down to 150Hz. These would be much more useful if they include the sub, making each stack a 2 box biamped system.

LMS stands for Loudspeaker Management System. It is usually an electronic controller to equalize and align the drivers for optimal performance.

Mac

josh carper

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »

Thanks, Mac.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:13:33 AM »

Is getting Apogee parts still as hard as pulling hens' teeth?

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 07:33:23 AM »

Is getting Apogee parts still as hard as pulling hens' teeth?

http://apogeesound.us/

Iain.

josh carper

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »

Thanks Iain.  Do you know from experience or have you heard good things about that repair shop?

Eric Chancey

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

Thanks Iain.  Do you know from experience or have you heard good things about that repair shop?

I've used him  on several occasions to recone AE6's and AE3's also repaired a couple processors for me. I also bought a few spare drivers from him. Barry is a very nice and an extremely knowledgeable guy. Highly recommend him!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:20:13 PM by Eric Chancey »

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »

I've used him  on several occasions to recone AE6's and AE3's also repaired a couple processors for me. I also bought a few spare drivers from him. Barry is a very nice and an extremely knowledgeable guy. Highly recommend him!

Hi,

I met him when he was dir of engineering at Apogee. So far, everybody I sent in his direction has been pleased. Check his main company.

http://www.gdgpro.com/

Iain.

josh carper

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Has anyone actually heard the AE-7's?  How would you describe their sound?  How did they compare to other comparable brands out there at the time?

Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.