Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

New (to me) PA system capabilities...

(1/4) > >>

Clint Miller:
I have recently gone from running basic bar equipment (two commumity 4/15 subs and 2 SoundBridge 2/15/horn cabs), to a small Crown/EAW system. I'm looking for some ideas about how large of an audience my system will run without blowing it up!

I'm running 4 EAW KF650z biamped (for now) tops and 8 EAW LA400 subs.  I am powering it with four CTs3000 amps, two XTi1000 amps, and two XTi6000 amps.  I Have a DBX 260, that I am going to replace with either a DBX480 or a EAW UX8800 so I can run the system 4-way.

How large of an audience can I reasonably run with that system for an outside festival for rock/pop/country bands?

I am EXTREMELY happy with the EAW/Crown combination... I just need to know what it's limitations are so I can deliver when I'm bidding work.

Thanks for your input!
Clint

Ivan Feder:

--- Quote from: Clint Miller on May 04, 2011, 10:49:16 AM ---I have recently gone from running basic bar equipment (two commumity 4/15 subs and 2 SoundBridge 2/15/horn cabs), to a small Crown/EAW system. I'm looking for some ideas about how large of an audience my system will run without blowing it up!

I'm running 4 EAW KF650z biamped (for now) tops and 8 EAW LA400 subs.  I am powering it with four CTs3000 amps, two XTi1000 amps, and two XTi6000 amps.  I Have a DBX 260, that I am going to replace with either a DBX480 or a EAW UX8800 so I can run the system 4-way.

How large of an audience can I reasonably run with that system for an outside festival for rock/pop/country bands?

I am EXTREMELY happy with the EAW/Crown combination... I just need to know what it's limitations are so I can deliver when I'm bidding work.

Thanks for your input!
Clint

--- End quote ---

2 to 3 hundred people?

Robert Weston:

--- Quote from: Clint Miller on May 04, 2011, 10:49:16 AM ---I have recently gone from running basic bar equipment (two commumity 4/15 subs and 2 SoundBridge 2/15/horn cabs), to a small Crown/EAW system. I'm looking for some ideas about how large of an audience my system will run without blowing it up!

Thanks for your input!
Clint

--- End quote ---

A better way to look at coverage would be to determine what SPL you are needing (or want) at whatever feet away from the stage.  How much SPL do you want at FOH?  That would be a good place to start.

Aaron Talley:
I have a similar 650z rig. Get the ux8800 hands down. And it does depend on the level and the room.

Russel Murton:

--- Quote from: Aaron Talley on May 04, 2011, 11:38:00 PM ---I have a similar 650z rig. Get the ux8800 hands down. And it does depend on the level and the room.

--- End quote ---

Those responces annoy me.

It's a lot harder to sell to clients that your PA will do 104dBc at FOH 30m from FOH in a room 20mx20m compared to the PA will cover rock bands at normal concert volume levels in rooms that can cater for around 500 people.

It's much easier to go:

Medium PA Rig
500-800 people
Medium rooms - e.g. 20mx20m
Rock concert volume level

Small PA Rig
100 people
Small rooms - e.g. 10mx5m
Intimate solo act volume level

Not many people understand the jargon that goes into stating what your PA will cover in terms of volume level, area and distance that the volume is required. They can understand, how many punters, how loud, how large of a space. I have a questionaire for each hire that I get them to fill out, these things are asked, if they are asking for a PA for 500 people but it's a sit down dinner and the PA is for dinner music then you know what to bring and what to charge for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version