ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whirlwind connect series digital snake  (Read 8350 times)

Kim Clark

whirlwind connect series digital snake
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »

Hi
wondering if anyone out there has used this snake with a yamaha M7
I would like to know how much tweeking is needed to set the mic gains
just looking for someone who's had hands on experiance with snake
before i spend the big bucks
thanks
Kim

Thomas Lamb

Re: whirlwind connect series digital snake
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »

I don't understand! Whirlwind mostly makes excellent products. Tweaking mike gains? In comparison to what? Any other comparable analog snake? Shouldn't be any different. In my experience durability is the difference in snakes. The electrons normally flow fine. Unless it's a fancy directional snake! You don't want to flow them backwards.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:57:50 PM »

I don't understand! Whirlwind mostly makes excellent products. Tweaking mike gains? In comparison to what? Any other comparable analog snake? Shouldn't be any different. In my experience durability is the difference in snakes. The electrons normally flow fine. Unless it's a fancy directional snake! You don't want to flow them backwards.

Oddly, it is one of those fancy directional snakes.

While I haven't had any experience with the Whirlwind Connect, I do know that the mic pre adjustment is on the stagebox. You cannot control the mic pres from the console. You can use MY16-C Cobranet cards in the M7 for an interface of the inputs and outputs to the console.

Mac

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »

I was not aware the connect Was available as a digital snake. I even google searched whirlwind connect to make sure. Feuds I should of gone straight to the source.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• Classic LAB
    • Midnight Blue online
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »

Yeah, we are trying to research whether setting the gains at the remote input box can get us "in the ballpark" for most acts (since this setup offers no access to the input box preamp control from anywhere other than the input box), or will this be the two guys on com back and forth just to set input gains for each act on a given night.
It is a deal for a digisnake, but the whole setting gains with a mini-screwdriver thing seems to worry us.

Anyone with any experience, please chime in, as we have so far found no one with this system or any experience.  My next call is to Whirlwind to see what they can offer, as far as experienced people (I.e. Actual people who've done shows with this) they can turn us on to.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:28:11 AM by Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft) »

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »

Please let us know what your findings are :)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Gain at stage
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »

Yeah, we are trying to research whether setting the gains at the remote input box can get us "in the ballpark" for most acts (since this setup offers no access to the input box preamp control from anywhere other than the input box), or will this be the two guys on com back and forth just to set input gains for each act on a given night.
It is a deal for a digisnake, but the whole setting gains with a mini-screwdriver thing seems to worry us.

While it's certainly not ideal, it's probably not a hell of a lot different than using an active splitter like an XTA DS800 that had a 5 position gain switch at the stage. The screwdriver adjust is a little more twitchy, and a little less repeatable, but you still have to set the gain on stage with the XTA. I think active splitters have been more popular in Europe than in the US.

Mac

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:34:22 AM »

You might get some incite over on the SAC Forum http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
That mixer doesn't support Mic Pre gain adjust.  It is the first concern of everyone who looks at it, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in real life.

As a user of the SAC mixer, the exception would be if different people or instruments use the same channel, for instance, in different acts.  In other words, all my mic preamp gains are not set the same and forgotten,  The mics in the piano are low, and the armature tenor is kind of high, ETC 

During the show, from song to song, or song to speaking, no problem.

Frank
Not to Code

Paul Lipp

• SR Forums
  • around here since 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »

I havent used the snake at a show, but have played with one in the shop and recently bought the cobranet card for my 01v96, I just havent gotten around to ordering the stagebox.

My draw to it was the unlimited split options, which will be great for broadcast or remote recording, but my sole intention is for use of regular concerts. There is a split at the box via DB25, but I have not messed around with that.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/snakes/connect-series-digital-snake

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.