ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 box 2 cabs, wats the worst that can happen  (Read 3588 times)

Poopedi Kwena

1 box 2 cabs, wats the worst that can happen
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:49:52 AM »

Ok this may b a stupid question bt I will b clever after its answered.
 I'm planning on substituting a fried cab on my berry P2520 with a different cab which may have different specs except for ohm rating. Would the be anything wrong 2 place 2 different makes and/or models in one box?

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: 1 box 2 cabs, wats the worst that can happen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »

I'm planning on substituting a fried cab on my berry P2520 with a different cab which may have different specs except for ohm rating. Would the be anything wrong 2 place 2 different makes and/or models in one box?

You really don't want to do this. There are several other speakers specifications that would need to be matched to get the driver right for the box tuning. Why not get the behringer replacement from fullcompass or something? They are fairly well priced.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »

The worst things that can happen?

* You could inadvertantly reverse the polarity on the newly installed speaker causing lesser output.
  * You could fry one or both of the speakers if the initial problem was that you were over-driving the cabinet in the first place-too much power.
  * The newly installed speaker's response will change the tone of the speaker box output.

I'd suggest you find a direct replacement speaker from the original manufacturer, and take a second look at the amplifier & settings, and wiring to the speaker to make sure they're a proper fit.

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »

* You could inadvertantly reverse the polarity on the newly installed speaker causing lesser output.
  * You could fry one or both of the speakers if the initial problem was that you were over-driving the cabinet in the first place-too much power.
  * The newly installed speaker's response will change the tone of the speaker box output.

I'd suggest you find a direct replacement speaker from the original manufacturer, and take a second look at the amplifier & settings, and wiring to the speaker to make sure they're a proper fit.

Hammer

Replacement: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/385561.html

Anything cheaper is going to suck... seriously.

Poopedi Kwena

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

Hammer

ok seeing this is the worst that can happen, is there any best that can happen? any positive side?

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »

ok seeing this is the worst that can happen, is there any best that can happen? any positive side?

best case... your box sounds similar to before?

I don't really know what you are getting at. If you have a box with a blown driver, and some random driver lying around, and want to know how bad it will be if you swap it in, its up to you. Any other driver you use will make the box sound different (more than likely, it being a dual 15, worse). If that change in sound quality is worth it vs the money you save, go for it.

If you have a behringer box, and you are thinking about 'upgrading' a driver, you will be hard pressed to find anyone on this board who will support you. Boxes are designed with drivers in mind (or vice-versa) and changing the driver (even to a more expensive one) likely wont do much good for sound quality.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.