ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VGA Cable Recomendation  (Read 6147 times)

Chris Hegwood

VGA Cable Recomendation
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »

I am looking for recommendations regarding VGA cable. I freely admit that I have deviated from my "buy once, cry once" mantra and bought cheap in the recent past. I am now sitting on a pile of cables with bent/broken pins or other problems.  My question is, in the pro staging and rental world what is the standard for ruggedness and reliability in a cable with HD15 ends? I would appreciate manufacturer recommendations and/or specs to look for.

Kevin Hoober

• Brandon, MS
Re: VGA Cable Recomendation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »

I am looking for recommendations regarding VGA cable. I freely admit that I have deviated from my "buy once, cry once" mantra and bought cheap in the recent past. I am now sitting on a pile of cables with bent/broken pins or other problems.  My question is, in the pro staging and rental world what is the standard for ruggedness and reliability in a cable with HD15 ends? I would appreciate manufacturer recommendations and/or specs to look for.

Extron seems to make a nice VGA (and DVI) cables (molded ends).  For long runs, I prefer 5-wire, w/ breakouts.

Kevin H.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

I would try to avoid HD15 connections that have to be operated on a regular basis in those environments.  Consider converting the HD15 and VGA cable to five wire RGBHV and maybe even use something like the Wireworks AV2000 connectors for the actual connectivity.

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:29:44 AM »

I would try to avoid HD15 connections that have to be operated on a regular basis in those environments.  Consider converting the HD15 and VGA cable to five wire RGBHV and maybe even use something like the Wireworks AV2000 connectors for the actual connectivity.

+1 to the recommendation to use RGBHV for long runs. Quad shielded RG-6 with a thick solid copper core has very low loss compared to RGB cables. Compression fittings make BNC terminations quick and reliable.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

+1 to the recommendation to use RGBHV for long runs. Quad shielded RG-6 with a thick solid copper core has very low loss compared to RGB cables. Compression fittings make BNC terminations quick and reliable.

RGBHV with breakouts is the best as the breakouts are inexpensive, the longer runs of RGBHV are easy to repair, and we use 6 conductor coax and have a spare line already run if one fails.
The usual quality cable providers Belden, Covid, Canare, Clark, Gepco will have different quality options that will work well for you.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »

5-wire with BNC breakouts are the standard.  I am a huge fan of field-repairable equipment and it's the way to go if you have the cash.

Now, I don't know your exact situation, but have you ever considered VGA over UTP?  An active balun set should work just fine as long as you can stand using Cat5e/Cat6 cable (make sure you get your balun for the correct cable type).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.