Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

The final afterword and "Aha!" moment on my solved audio puzzle...

(1/3) > >>

Rob Gow:
You may vaguely recall this post, on the old board...

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/602724/0/?srch=Curious#msg_602724

Anyway, I solved the problem by building new TRS extenders. So I had the old cables sitting around, and I thought "hey, these are useless, but cut off the ends and I could turn them into a pair of 10' XLR cables.

Again, a cheaper TRS male to a barrel TRS end, so it should be +/-/shield. I snip the ends off....

And it's just a +/shield cable. No wonder I had problems with it, it wasn't sending a TRS signal down the snake!!  I obviously must have misread the package when I bought them. Thank goodness i was able to get that mess all sorted out!!

Chris Davis:
Huh...  So they put a 3-segment onto a 2-conductor cable.  A case where a cable tester might have helped I suppose.

Rob Gow:

--- Quote from: Chris Davis on May 02, 2011, 03:45:35 PM ---Huh...  So they put a 3-segment onto a 2-conductor cable.  A case where a cable tester might have helped I suppose.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. In my inexperience, I must have bought the wrong cables. In the thread, you can see that I tested the signal throughout the chain, but never checked that last piece, or really pulling it apart. Making a proper TRS male to female with neutrik connectors on each end, soldered up correctly fixed that problem once and for all.

Chris Carpenter:

--- Quote from: Rob Gow on May 02, 2011, 03:56:21 PM ---
Exactly. In my inexperience, I must have bought the wrong cables. In the thread, you can see that I tested the signal throughout the chain, but never checked that last piece, or really pulling it apart. Making a proper TRS male to female with neutrik connectors on each end, soldered up correctly fixed that problem once and for all.

--- End quote ---

I don't think you can really blame yourself. If I saw a length of cable with TRS ends, I would assume its a three conductor without looking at the packaging. Sure these weren't homebrew cables?

Rob Gow:

--- Quote from: Chris Carpenter on May 02, 2011, 04:53:08 PM ---I don't think you can really blame yourself. If I saw a length of cable with TRS ends, I would assume its a three conductor without looking at the packaging. Sure these weren't homebrew cables?

--- End quote ---

No, I bought them brand new, in new packaging when I bought my PA. Maybe the guy picked them off the wall, and assumed as well, that since the 1/4" was TRS, the barrel would be as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version