ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standing Mats  (Read 4709 times)

jabney (john abney)

Standing Mats
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

Anybody here using a standing mat at the mix position? (Offset pressmen use them so their feet feel better at the end of the day.)

Prices vary a lot http://www.nextag.com/standing-mat/compare-html - is there any reason for spending more than the Craftsman costs?

best,

john

Jonathan Schroeder

• SR Forums
  • Houston, Tx
Re: Standing Mats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »

My wife and I bought one for my mother-in-Law for their kitchen, and she loves it so much she bought one for our house.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I have low back problems on occasion, usually after I have been cooking a lot.  I don't have nearly as many flare-ups any more.

The down side of them is they are heavy.  We have one of the larger gel-pro series mats, and it is a beast to move.  If you are in a fixed location every day or you don't mind transporting another heavy item from show to show, I would look into it.

I would be wary of the cheaper ones, some of them aren't thick enough to make much more of a difference than a piece of carpet, and the carpet would be lighter and probably cheaper. 

With the few caveats mentioned, well worth it in my opinion.

Jon

Andrew Moyer

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »

We recently had Tower of Power tour through our theatre and their monitor engineer had one.  His was about 30"x18" and about 1.5" thick.  It was made of a high density foam and was quite comfortable to stand on.  Personally I'm more of the type that likes to sit but if I was in a situation where I was standing behind a desk everyday, I'd definitely invest in one.
Andrew Moyer

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

I have a couple of GelPro mats and they are truly excellent, albeit a bit heavy if you get into the larger sizes.  Makes a big difference, particularly if you are otherwise standing on concrete or tile floors. 

The Gelpro models are mostly designed for home use, so depending on how much abuse it will take you might also consider models tailored more to industrial use, which may not be as comfortable but will still be an improvement for you.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »

Anybody here using a standing mat at the mix position? (Offset pressmen use them so their feet feel better at the end of the day.)

I have the type that you find in commercial kitchens (rubber with holes in it).  It helps on those long days on cement floor.  But, like Andrew, I prefer to sit, preferably in a chair with a back with my feet on the floor.  8)

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:56:58 PM »

Thanks for the comments. This would be for a concrete floor with a fixed A & H GL4000 40 ch board.

Could a surface be too isolated from the beat? Any reason to consider some coupling between operator and floor?

best,

john

Patrick Campbell BMI

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »

Thanks for the comments. This would be for a concrete floor with a fixed A & H GL4000 40 ch board.

Could a surface be too isolated from the beat? Any reason to consider some coupling between operator and floor?

best,

john

I bought a couple rubber matts for FOH at Menards - about 18"x25" 1.5" thick  - so I put two next to each other and it works out great. The acts I work with saw 'em and said......."well Patrick, have you finally run out of gear to buy ???" - I thought that was funny - it does make a long day at FOH a lot easier on the knees - 

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 03:30:29 AM »

John,

I can't make any particular recommendations, but I will tell you that they made my days more enjoyable.  See, I worked in the paint department at Home Depot and would normally be on my feet all day standing behind the counter (especially during busy season, like now).  The mats we had at our store were probably 3/4"-1" thick with bubbles on top that added another half-inch to the cushioning.  It felt a little weird at first, but I got used to it. 

When it comes to shoes, I'm not a huge fan of cushioning because I feel it weakens your feet (they don't work to support your body, etc.), but I feel that the mats provide an easy solution for something that our bodies aren't made to endure for so long.

Since I now have to wear a suit every day at work (not Home Depot, FYI), I needed to get some dress shoes that would keep my feet happy.  I knew I wanted a rubber sole and traditional styling, so I went with Clarks and their "UnStructured" line.  Combined with SmartWool dress socks, my feet could not be happier after a 16-hour day of setup, show, and strike in a suit...the rest of my body is another story.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

keriuonlesmar

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »

My wife and I bought one for my mother-in-Law for their kitchen, and she loves it so much she bought one for our house.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I have low back problems on occasion, usually after I have been cooking a lot.  I don't have nearly as many flare-ups any more.

The down side of them is they are heavy.  We have one of the larger gel-pro series mats, and it is a beast to move.  If you are in a fixed location every day or you don't mind transporting another heavy item from show to show, I would look into it.

I would be wary of the cheaper ones, some of them aren't thick enough to make much more of a difference than a piece of carpet, and the carpet would be lighter and probably cheaper. 

With the few caveats mentioned, well worth it in my opinion.

Jon

the standing mats creates a feel of grass walking and provide a better grip specially in the kitchen.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.