ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown MA-5000/5002 amp settings and woofer longevity?  (Read 14357 times)

Dave Barnett

Re: Crown MA-5000/5002 amp settings and woofer longevity?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »

Dave, what kind of venue is this?

I think it's time to move onto newer/more modern bass cabinets or consider replacing the EV woofers with a more modern design that will handle more power electrically and physically.

Believe me I'd love to replace the lot.  Getting the boss to spend the money is quite another issue though.

Venue is a small room, 300 capacity, live music from multiple genres.  Mix of local, regional and national "talent", and the occasional DJ show.  In a 48'x64' room you'd think eight "1000W" woofers would be enough?

Anyway thanks for another data point re: recones not seeming to hold up.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:18:33 AM »

Venue is a small room, 300 capacity, live music from multiple genres.  Mix of local, regional and national "talent", and the occasional DJ show.  In a 48'x64' room you'd think eight "1000W" woofers would be enough?

Eight 18-inch drivers will not be enough if the cabinet they are residing in is not capable of offering the right frequencies at high sound pressure levels.

Keep in mind the EV Manifold series is only good to around 55 Hz. That may be fine for Rock but not nearly enough for DJ requirements in this day and age.

Once you are constantly burning up voice coils that is an indication of asking too much from your woofers. This stems from the following:

1. The Continuous Average Levels is too high for the voice coil to manage under long-term conditions. This can occur from heavy limiting when the goal is to prevent the amplifier from clipping. Since cone movement is minimised under these conditions, the voice coil is not cooled properly.

Matters will be worse if you push the amplifier harder with the assumption the limiter will prevent loudspeaker damage, due to a non-clipped output signal from the amplifier.

2. The cabinet is not efficient to reproduce the lower notes with enough SPL. Generally for DJ requirements, 40 Hz is needed. Manifolds, offer a  –3 dB point @ 55 Hz. So the drivers need to work very hard to reproduce 45 – 35 Hz, which is common in the majority of music, DJs play.

Possibly you should contact Electrovoice and ask if it is possible to purchase their new 18-inch model (DVX 3180) used in the Pheonix Line. If you prefer to use the Manifold cabinets this may be the only way to remedy the problem providing the TS Parameters are similar to the EVX 180B.

Another option is to explore Faital Pro. They offer a woofer that is very close to the EVX 180B that should work in the Manifold series.

Best Regards, 

Elliot

thorsten bolvig

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 03:11:11 AM »

Eight 18-inch drivers will not be enough if the cabinet they are residing in is not capable of offering the right frequencies at high sound pressure levels.

Keep in mind the EV Manifold series is only good to around 55 Hz. That may be fine for Rock but not nearly enough for DJ requirements in this day and age.

Once you are constantly burning up voice coils that is an indication of asking too much from your woofers. This stems from the following:
----
Best Regards, 

Elliot

Not knowing the actual cabinets i  agree on the 55Hz manifold problem.
Another solution could be to change cabinets to the Xi1191 or similar.
Maybe use a combination of the two types which would give you the best performance for the frequency range in design.
The 180B is capable of performing good down to well below 40 Hz given the cabinet design supports it.

From memory i recall something like using Xds from 34 to 80 Hz and Xb from 50 to 125 Hz give and take...

Thorsten

paul bell

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »

I'm with Mr. Thompson here. I've replaced quite a few EVX woofers with Faital Pro woofers with very good success.

Regardless of woofer, the EV manifold bass cabinets the OP has will not support bass below 50 Hz.  If they (his venue) is happy with the sound but wish to eliminate the nuisance of blown woofers and downtime, a better modern woofer will make everyone happy again.

Dave Barnett

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »

Matters will be worse if you push the amplifier harder with the assumption the limiter will prevent loudspeaker damage, due to a non-clipped output signal from the amplifier.

This is something I've long suspected, that smashing the signal into the limiters will just give the amps and speakers a signal with a really ugly duty cycle.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.