ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC 3602 Reliabilty Issues-Anyone?  (Read 20563 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
Re: QSC 3602 Reliabilty Issues-Anyone?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

but when we sell off or scrap the pSeudo4 rig, the Crests will be sold off. 

Is that a quadraphonic system?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »

See what happens after the I T's have as many years of service as the old macro's?  Just guessing here.....   : )

So far I'd say it will be no different.  Of the Macros, we had a few that were more than 10 years old, a couple of them were still under warranty.

You can hide behind "see what happens in the future" but right now I have the empirical evidence that the I-Techs are no more problematic than our Macros, and currently have fewer problems needing factory service than the Macros.

We have I-Techs that are nearly new and others that are 5 years old.  There seems to be no difference in service needs based of date of production.  You don't have to believe me, but I encourage you to post based on your personal experiences rather than anecdotal hearsay and your "beliefs" regarding power supply topology and longevity.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 05:48:22 AM »

So far I'd say it will be no different.  Of the Macros, we had a few that were more than 10 years old, a couple of them were still under warranty.

You can hide behind "see what happens in the future" but right now I have the empirical evidence that the I-Techs are no more problematic than our Macros, and currently have fewer problems needing factory service than the Macros.

We have I-Techs that are nearly new and others that are 5 years old.  There seems to be no difference in service needs based of date of production.  You don't have to believe me, but I encourage you to post based on your personal experiences rather than anecdotal hearsay and your "beliefs" regarding power supply topology and longevity.

Tim,

Its not beliefs, reread my first post, everyone I know that went from the heavy wieght iron to new light wieght stuff is having problems. Crest at the top of the list, plx, then I T .  Went to the shop yesterday to see how my 9200 is coming along, not so good......  Funny, a xti and a I T came in for repair also.  Basic words out of the repairmans mouth, buy a old macro, as he knows I'm looking for something in the 2 kw range, 4 ohm stereo.  He did comment that the I T's are easy to work on, modular, and crown actually stands behind there product.
 He showed me the test procedure, right from crest, on how to do some trouble shooting on my 9200.  the most unprofessionall, obvious that even crest ( PEAVY ) doesn't know whats going on.  One line said, Hail Mary test, say a Hail Mary, do this and that, if smoke doesn't appear, move onto step 2,,,,,,, After reading the test, my quest for a 9200 is over, as for any more of the new crest 9200's.  I'm looking for a older ca 18 now.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »

Tim,

Its not beliefs, reread my first post, everyone I know that went from the heavy wieght iron to new light wieght stuff is having problems. Crest at the top of the list, plx, then I T .  Went to the shop yesterday to see how my 9200 is coming along, not so good......  Funny, a xti and a I T came in for repair also.  Basic words out of the repairmans mouth, buy a old macro, as he knows I'm looking for something in the 2 kw range, 4 ohm stereo.  He did comment that the I T's are easy to work on, modular, and crown actually stands behind there product.
 He showed me the test procedure, right from crest, on how to do some trouble shooting on my 9200.  the most unprofessionall, obvious that even crest ( PEAVY ) doesn't know whats going on.  One line said, Hail Mary test, say a Hail Mary, do this and that, if smoke doesn't appear, move onto step 2,,,,,,, After reading the test, my quest for a 9200 is over, as for any more of the new crest 9200's.  I'm looking for a older ca 18 now.

Alan,
What Tim is saying is based on numbers, so before anyone can speculate a sample has to be compared to the total, not just what a particular dealer or tech has to say.

I'll use an example based on my day job. On Thursdays I work with a medical company who supplies two (2ea.) servers to hospitals for a single purpose. These servers are one active and the second a cold spare. If one fails then the cold spare is placed on line and the failed server sent back to me for overhaul, reload and failure analysis. Field engineers are not allowed to work on these systems. The manufacturer of these servers is well known with an immaculate reputation.

Last Thursday I had twelve (12) systems on the bench. I was approached by a company engineer who stated. "Why do we buy this junk." I asked what he based that statement on and he pointed to the 12 systems on the bench. My reply was simple. I asked him if he knew that his company had over 5000 of these systems in the field, and that the majority of these systems would only need a hard disk and OS rebuild. He replied "I didn't know that."

That's far less than a 1% failure rate.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »

Tim,

Repair techs see 100% failure rates on every model.  Users should not.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »

If the theory that "Heavy Weight Iron" is the only thing acceptable for subs is true, that would make just about every powered sub(class D amps) useless!

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »

Repair techs see 100% failure rates on every model.  Users should not.

Not sure I understand this.  100% failure rate means every amp will blow.

Tim,
Simple, around here, from what I see, lightwieght amps fail more, and are more a throw away item.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »

Not sure I understand this.  100% failure rate means every amp will blow.

Tim,
Simple, around here, from what I see, lightwieght amps fail more, and are more a throw away item.

If a repair tech sees an amp, it's broken.  So, 100% of the amps the repair tech sees are broken. 
100% failure rate (in his eyes)  He doesn't see the the ones that are working.

If the company sells 10 times as many of a new amp than the old one and the repair tech sees 5 times as many of that amp,
The tech may think they suck because he's seeing 5 times as many, but reality would be that the new ones are twice as reliable as the old ones.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:53 AM »

If the theory that "Heavy Weight Iron" is the only thing acceptable for subs is true, that would make just about every powered sub(class D amps) useless!

I think you're confused. I never said you needed heavy iron for subs. I've said I don't like the 3602 for sub duty, and I've said that for years. There are plenty of lighter amps out there that can run high powered subs just fine, and from any number of manufacturers including QSC. The 3602 just isn't one of them in my opinion based on my, and others, experiences. Powered systems designed specifically for a single task should never have an issue if used properly regardless of driver type or size.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »

I think you're confused. I never said you needed heavy iron for subs.

I think you're confused. I never said you said anything. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:18:41 AM by Chuck Simon »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.