ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC 3602 Reliabilty Issues-Anyone?  (Read 20568 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: QSC 3602 Reliabilty Issues-Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »

Hot is not the word for it. I push my systems hard, as hard as anyone, and the only component I've had problems with are 3602s when used for subs. My first bad experience years ago was an outdoor concert. I had good voltage to the amps and every 3602 I owned shut down at one point or another. Every one of them was hot enough out front to burn your hand on. Since replacing them I have had NO problems, even at the same venue, and under the same conditions the 4050HDs run ICE COLD. OK for tops, not OK for subs. Weight is not a factor when 500-100 people are standing out front wondering why the system JUST WENT FUCKING DEAD.

I've heard others say the same thing about the 3602's.  Though, I don't push my system too hard (hard enough though).  The clip lights will occasionally come on -- this is about where I'll run it.  If I need to push it any harder, I feel like I may be approaching the "not enough rig for the gig" situation.  However, my issues are usually related to onsite electrical current being sub-par to even run the 3602's where I like to.

David Parker

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »

I use the PLX-3602's for subs (4ohm - bridged).  Never had a problem with them, except they need a good steady amount of current (i.e. they really need to be on their own circuit).  The can run a bit hotter than the 3402's, (as has been mentioned before in this forum), but I've never had one fail.  Though, with the amount of current they need to run, I've tripped many breakers.

About a year ago, had a 3402 power supply fail during a sound check (amp was running FOH mid/high).  QSC was superb in managing the repair and getting the amp back to me.  The largest amount of time spent getting it repaired was the shipping time to and from QSC.

Hot is not the word for it. I push my systems hard, as hard as anyone, and the only component I've had problems with are 3602s when used for subs. My first bad experience years ago was an outdoor concert. I had good voltage to the amps and every 3602 I owned shut down at one point or another. Every one of them was hot enough out front to burn your hand on. Since replacing them I have had NO problems, even at the same venue, and under the same conditions the 4050HDs run ICE COLD. OK for tops, not OK for subs. Weight is not a factor when 500-100 people are standing out front wondering why the system JUST WENT FUCKING DEAD.
must be a difference between the 3402 and 3602. My 3402's don't run very hot, even when they are sitting out in the sun all day long and it's 100 degrees. Like I said, I'm sure the 4050's would be better, and I'd love to have them, but I've got a good, lightweight horse, and I'm gonna ride him.

Robert Weston

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »

must be a difference between the 3402 and 3602. My 3402's don't run very hot, even when they are sitting out in the sun all day long and it's 100 degrees. Like I said, I'm sure the 4050's would be better, and I'd love to have them, but I've got a good, lightweight horse, and I'm gonna ride him.

Exactly -- the weight is a big issue.  My amp rack used to weigh ~400 lbs (filled with Crown/Crest); and when you are the only one loading out/in, it gets old really quick.  Replaced all the "big iron" with QSC's.  Now the rack weighs ~200 lbs and has about 3 times the amount of power.  The older amps performed well under various voltage loads, but the weight was becoming a major issue - I bought a 1000 lb portable winch to pull the amp rack in the cargo van; then I thought, "what the hell I am doing, just get more efficient amps".

Phil Strickland

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »

I run 3602's on subs, and they get a little hot, but no real problems. Of course, now that I've read this thread I'll be keeping an eye on them a little more.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »

Exactly -- the weight is a big issue.  My amp rack used to weigh ~400 lbs (filled with Crown/Crest); and when you are the only one loading out/in, it gets old really quick.  Replaced all the "big iron" with QSC's.  Now the rack weighs ~200 lbs and has about 3 times the amount of power.  The older amps performed well under various voltage loads, but the weight was becoming a major issue - I bought a 1000 lb portable winch to pull the amp rack in the cargo van; then I thought, "what the hell I am doing, just get more efficient amps".

Robert,
Have you given any thought to putting fewer amps in smaller racks. ::)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Robert Weston

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »

Robert,
Have you given any thought to putting fewer amps in smaller racks. ::)

Actually, I had....  :D But the added expense and management of more cases and extra work to setup stage L &R with cables, etc... It become more efficient to use one 16 space rack.  I know this all sounds trivial, but it takes 3 of us about 5 hours to setup for a show (FOH and stage, including sound check).  And sometimes it's been just me setting up for the shows (for the first couple of hours or so). 

Having said all this, I've been reconsidering using smaller cases; though, transportation space is becoming a premium.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »

Actually, I had....  :D But the added expense and management of more cases and extra work to setup stage L &R with cables, etc... It become more efficient to use one 16 space rack.  I know this all sounds trivial, but it takes 3 of us about 5 hours to setup for a show (FOH and stage, including sound check).  And sometimes it's been just me setting up for the shows (for the first couple of hours or so). 

Having said all this, I've been reconsidering using smaller cases; though, transportation space is becoming a premium.

It is jut one more case. Two 8RU instead of one 16RU, each weighs half as much. Both go on one side of the stage, stacked on top of each other so they take up no more room and cable the same as your current method. They are just easier to load in and out, and more flexible to find room for in the truck and in the warehouse.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »

Everything breaks. LOl
   Your going to get a bad amp from time to time. I think in this day of light wieght amps there are going to be many more failures.

I disagree.  We've moved into Crown I-Techs in a big way, liquidating our Macro Techs and never looking back.  We have almost twice as many I-T as we had M-T but send out the same number per year for service. 

Hands down, the most reliable amp we've used are the Crest 8001.  The issue for them is parts support, and we've got access to a good-sized stash of critical pieces... but when we sell off or scrap the pSeudo4 rig, the Crests will be sold off.  Probably will take the proceeds and use for partial payment on I-TechHD for the VerTec rig, and use the original I-Techs for the conventional rig that replaces the 4s.

It's good to have a plan :D

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »

It is jut one more case. Two 8RU instead of one 16RU, each weighs half as much. Both go on one side of the stage, stacked on top of each other so they take up no more room and cable the same as your current method. They are just easier to load in and out, and more flexible to find room for in the truck and in the warehouse.

Mac

Modularity is good, but it does come with a price
2 racks instead of 1 = Twice as much work. Two trips in, instead of one.  Two trips out, instead of one. 
Have to stack the rack once you're in and unstack to load out.  (assuming you are physically able to hoist that rack by yourself
Twice as many rack covers to pull & store on the in, twice as many to find, sort, and put back on on the out.
Every strategy has it's benefits and negatives.  Pick what works for you.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

I disagree.  We've moved into Crown I-Techs in a big way, liquidating our Macro Techs and never looking back.  We have almost twice as many I-T as we had M-T but send out the same number per year for service. 

Hands down, the most reliable amp we've used are the Crest 8001.  The issue for them is parts support, and we've got access to a good-sized stash of critical pieces... but when we sell off or scrap the pSeudo4 rig, the Crests will be sold off.  Probably will take the proceeds and use for partial payment on I-TechHD for the VerTec rig, and use the original I-Techs for the conventional rig that replaces the 4s.

It's good to have a plan :D

Tim Mc

See what happens after the I T's have as many years of service as the old macro's?  Just guessing here.....   : )

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.